Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb questions from a beginner...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Nov 6, 2005.

1. I have been collecting parts to build a '33 Ford pickup rod since 1981. The project was put on the back burner due to getting married, having kids, starting business, etc, etc. I have gone through many incarnations in my mind as how it would look over the years, from full fendered resto-rod, to highboy etc., and have now decided it has to be a chopped and channelled "beater" as I used to call it. I originally got a 283 for it, and then threw that away. I then got a 302, and then used it for a 67 F-100 that I put on a 1979 chassis for my son. So I went out and bought a 59AB flathead. I am planning to keep the engine fairly stock with aluminum heads, 2 strombergs on a super manifold.

1) What jet size should I use for these carbs?

2) The carbs must use direct linkage as opposed to progressive right?

3) What about that distributor with the built-in coil, do I nuke that?

4) Some one stole my original 33 radiator and shell, repro rads are available but what do you do about the low rad height on a channelled car? do you get it cut down at a rad shop?

Sorry about the obvious questions, but I have been too busy to stay involved for the last 25 years.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Even some help on the radaiator issues would make a difference. How about it guys, one of you must have channelled a car!

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm using a '32 type Radiator in my Roadster that is 5" shorter than stock.
    Ordered it direct from Walker Radiators, and they made it that way for me.

If you are running a Flatty you could also find a swapmeet stock Rad and have it recored shorter by a local Radiator Shop.

4. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No progressive linkage on that manifold.

I ended up having a custom radiator built, but I have a channeled car and a track nose which ate up a lot of space since it's lower and more round. Stock Mustang radiator nearly fit my aplication so I think you could be fine with that depending on how you situate your axle, crossmember, etc.