Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb questions about Quickchanges and Deuce rails...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seymour, May 16, 2006.

1. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

What'd everyone do to the rear crossmember and spring inorder to clear a quickchange? I've got a few ideas, but not sure which would be the best choice...

1) Model A spring and crossmember?
    2) Model A spring and flat crossmember?
    3) Flip the housings so the spring is infront of the rearend and move the crossmember?

Pros & Cons of each method? It's going in an unchanneled pickup, so I'd like to keep the crossmember out of the bed area if possible.

Thanks

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

3. The way most people did it and still do it is to use the Model A x member and Spring.

I did see Cornhuskers rod shop build one(in fact it was the giveaway car yellow roadster pick up that PeteJoe won) do it using quater elptic springs in the rear. It was very slck and didn't have the big arc of the spring and crossmember going up into the bed. It was very clean.

4. model A spring and rear crossmember

5. Kennedy's.

A spring & A-style (he made it himself) rear crossmember.

JH

Attached Files:

6. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Hmm... is there a reason no one runs the spring in front of the axle? I might just live with the A crossmember sticking up into the bed...

7. Offy

Offy

A quick change is just another rear end so most hot rod rear end suspensions are capable of working. The biggest issue is its size. As long as it dosen't hit anything when the suspension is in full compresion you are good to go. The only other thing that needs to be addressed is access to the rear cover so the spur gears can be changed.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have built them with 1/4 elliptics and ladder bars. With coilovers I don't use a raised crossmember I just use a longer upper & lower bung and slide the crossmember back to clear the rear. I have done several chassis with a flat floors and a QC, but with a model a style spring it is almost impossible if you want to go low.