Register now to get rid of these ads!

dumb electrical ? #1 for today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lownslow, Jun 10, 2006.

1. lownslow

lownslow

on my wifes 64 t- bird when you put on the turn signal the it does not blink and the left brake light goes out . if the blinker is not on the brake lights work fine ..... what are the probable causes? and how do i fix this .

2. Bad bulb.filiment is grounding out..........................................maybe!

3. lolife

lolife

Flasher unit bad. Try another one.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yeah, I'm guessing the flashers no good.

5. squirrel

squirrel

either flasher no good, or the flasher fuse is blown, or a wiring problem, or the turn signal switch is bad, or....

6. skipperman

skipperman

'64 Birds have SEQUENTIAL turn signals.... the problem is PROBABLY in the sequencing unit itself....try hooking up the turn signals "normally" ( NO sequencer in the circut) and see if the problem goes away .....you can buy electronic after-market sequencers instead of the mechanical ones the factory used if ya wanna' keep the sequence...

jersey skip

7. No they don't. That feature was new for 1965.

Cosmo.

P.S. 99.9% it's the flasher unit.

8. Big Pete

Big Pete

Start by taking the two left side turn signal bulbs out and retest. If all other things clear up let us know........

9. Sounds like a bad turn siganal switch contact. The turn and brake wiring go through it. Stu

10. fatabone

fatabone

Pull the turn signal switch handle towards the steering wheel while the blinker is on. I've been through 3 of them on a 64 Chevelle column and that is how I tell if they are split.