Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dueling deuces riding the curbs!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandkrusty, Dec 26, 2011.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

A friend of mine sent me this crazy video from the fifties. I thought my H.A.M.B. pals would like it. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/7dfE8Pmqwp0

Who the hell came up with these crazy ideas?

2. Now that was fun to watch.

3. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

Thats from the movie hot rod gang. I have no idea but I thought, how stupid? Those guys must have hated their suspension.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Did that once! Young gangster type decided to be real cool in a crosswalk and stare me down looking hard, then put his foot on my bumper and tied his shoe... BUMP! Next thing he or I knew he was running down a side walk next to a zero lot line building with me half on the side walk chasing him just a little faster than comfortable to run! After a block I think his attitude was sufficiantly changed!

5. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

Did not sound like flatheads.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

We used to play "rat-racing" back in Iowa in the late '50's/early-'60's...one car following the second with the front bumper just inches away from the rear of the first car...at 40-60 mph on gravel roads... the whole point of the "game" was to not let the guy in front get far enuff ahead so he could read your license plate in his rear view mirror. If and when that happened, he won...you lost...then you'd change places...

Back then, the gravel roads around Iowa's farms were virtually empty...only farmer's used the roads.

You can read about 'rat-racing' in my first book : Bangin' Gears and Bustin' Heads...and no, that didn't happen in a Deuce roadster...we had to have roll up windows and heaters...and I drove my Dad's '49 Merc at the time.

R-

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice roadsters !

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thanks man that was the bomb.

9. They weren't if you look right in the beginning they are valve in head engines. One looked like it may have been an old rocket.

10. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Damn kids and those dangerous hot rods.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

shows how tough old ford suspensions are. Man they were slamming them on those curbs.

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that movie as a kid when it first came out, eventually got a VHS, and finally a DVD. Yeah, it's corny, but in '58 it was cool! :D
    The nice light-colored '32 on the left is the Bob McGee/Dick Scritchfield roadster. Bob originally built it with a flathead, but Dick switched to a SBC sometime after he bought. The car appeared in movies, TV shows, advertisements, and ran around 160 MPH at Bonneville. One of the best and well known '32 hot rods ever built. :)

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very good observation. I've accidently hit a few bumps and just knew I was breaking something, but nothing yet. Then, I've seen people in Hummers slowing down for a crack in the asphalt.:confused: Like they're scared thier new car has glass tires.:D I'm thinking, "Here I am going over a bump with a suspension based on 80 year old technology and this guys scared his 2011 crap trap will fall apart."

These old cars had some excellent engineering, for thier time.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That was cool. Thanks!

15. Great clip. I dig the insult at the beginning 'Miss girdle buster 1958'. That had me howling.

16. I've got those dented hubcaps in my collection....

Charlie

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great video! And best of all, there´s no computer animation, just real driving.

18. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Me and my wife just watched that on netflix the other night.

19. ScottV

ScottV

Those crazy kids and their souped up jalopies !!! :p

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet Bob McGee never thought his roadster would ever be in the movies when he was building it.

Frank

21. As you probably know the dark colored deuce is the Pete Henderson car after being updated a few times.

Mick

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---That yellow one IS Dick Scritchfields old hiboy!!---I'll have to email him now & let him know!---We email each other at least 3 times daily, "scritch" is taking it easy in Hawaii now at 82!!---And yes he is a HAMBER, lurks on here occasionally.
    Wish I had a nickle for every mile we have traveled together across the USA in our '32 roadsters----BUT, thats another story!-----Don:D:D

23. flat34pu

flat34pu

:Dthanks i just spent an a couple hours whatchin those:eek:
    rich

24. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

that was cool as hell,thanks the inspiration is up on my roadster. now back to block sanding. bleh

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Now there's something to brag about! How cool!

26. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

27. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

thanks for posting, that was cool to see

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ha!...the passenger in the black roadster looks to be about 7 feet tall with his head that far above the windshield...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere I read that Dick had to sell the roadster when he moved to Hawaii because their vehicles required fenders (at least at that time) and Dick wanted the car to stay a highboy.
    Didn't Dick own the roadster when Hot Rod Gang was made in '58?

30. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reminder. That '32 is also famous and well known. Here's a short version of a story about the roadster from book The American Hot Rod.
    In 1945, a stranger came to town and proposed a drag race with his horse and Ak Miller's LaSalle-powered '32, between two telephone poles, or 60 yards.
    Ak discussed the proposal with a friend, Connie Weidell, who owned a Cad-powered '27 T. They learned that the most famous race horse of the day, Seabiscuit, could run 60 yards in 4.2 seconds from a standing start.
    Miller and Weidell raced each other from one pole to another, and neither could beat the 4.2 time, but Pete Henderson's flathead-powered '32 could, so Pete raced the horse and won!
    They found out later the quarter horse Pete raced was even faster than the thoroughbred Seabiscuit! :)