Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duece Rear Crossmember ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi all, I'm preparing to build a traditional 50's style hiboy '31 coupe on '32 rails very much in the style of Rolf's gem. At this stage I am undecided about what rear crossmember to use, I've seen Model A type, tubular type using a '40 spring and of course the original '32. Is there a traditional reason, technical/width issue or theme for each type or is it just a personal choice. I'm using a '57 style 9" diff housing, with the spring mounted behind so it won't have clear a quickchange. Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

2. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Does anyone have any advise please?

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 35-40 crossmember is often used because the 32-34 rear crossmember uses a curved spring and must be modified to use the straight spring.

The 35-40 rear crossmember is very commonly available and can be "flattened" to lower the rear.

The Model A crossmember and spring are used usually for clearance for a quick-change rear end.

In the end it is personal preference and what is available locally that make the choices for you.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I have an A crossmember and spring to use in my 32 frame. I'll be using a 9" Bronco rearend and really don't have the need for the high arch spring but I like the look.

Are there any handling issues that might be noticed with the high arch spring compared to the lower version?

5. what rear spring are you using? as already said , an A rear crossmember and spring is normally be used to clear a quick change

6. Here are a couple of pics of how I did mine. Using a 40 ford front spring and ladder bars. The X member is simple square tubing and I made the spring mount.

Attached Files:

7. So far as my butt can tell, there is no difference in ride quality when comparing the high arch Model A spring to those used from 32 to 48.

The Model A rear cross member intrudes into the trunk (boot) area. If you are not using a quick change rear end you don't need it.

If you are using a quick change the high arch provides necessary clearance.

A traditional car will have a Ford banjo style rear end. And a banjo rear end can be converted to a quick change at any time. So I would be inclined to use a Model A spring and cross member with a banjo rear end because you never know, you or a future owner may want to upgrade at some point.

An overlooked point. Model A springs are designed to work with spring hangers that are wider apart than those found on later, spring behind axles. A good spring shop can reverse the shackle eyes (1" + drop) and narrow the spring at the same time.

For my Model T project I am using a Posies narrow Model A style spring with 46/48 axle bells and spring hangers. Took a bit of stretching.

For my 31 Model A coupe on 32 rails I am using a Posies narrow Model A style spring with 37/48 axle bells and Pete & Jakes weld on spring hangers.

Attached Files:

8. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for your replies guys, you have all answered what I thought was the story. I didn't appreciate the Model A crossmember trunk intrusion either, so a '35 - '40 crossmember is looking the answer, it's prettier than a tube version, as stated I can flatten/adjust it to suit the stance I'm after.
    Now technically, how does the '35 - '40 rear spring and mountings width compare to a Model A unit, I don't want a wider rear axle just to accomodate the mountings. I'll probably fabricate the spring mountings behind the rear axle, something like Bass's awesome version, and try to incorporate shock mountings too. Some are also using a '40 front spring, what is the story there? Does anyone have a link to rear spring and mountings dimensional data etc.
    Sorry for the long drawn out questions guys, I have little to measure or refer to here downunder unless it's a f_ _ king RICE-BURNER.
    Again, thanks all, I'm looking forward to your advise.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Any info please guys?

10. Some good reading here:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/0605rc_1932_ford_deuce/index.html

Pete & Jakes sells the rear spring hangers you need. SoCal Speed shop sells a narrowed 37-40 styled spring. Posies also sells this spring and a stock width one as well.

37-40 front springs are used by some because they have less arch. I don't know off hand what the spring hanger width is for the front spring set up.

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I'm not being a smartass but, its spelled DEUCE!!!!!!

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I do a buggy spring rear chassis with 40 spring I use a main leaf 44 inchs wide, gives more room for wheel offset. I used to adjust the origianl 40 spring pack to fit but now use new spring packs.

13. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks again guy's, regarding my poor spelling, must be getting more dyslexic, maybe I should use Doc's avatar. :)