Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ducktailed rebels in souped-up jalopies!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goober, Mar 6, 2006.

1. How traditional can you get? But, no, this isn't a story from the 1950's about the fuzz mistakenly running upon the filming of "Rebel Without a Cause". Tell me more. Somebody's gotta' know.
    ----------

From the LA Times:
    Hot Rodders Up the Creek in L.A. River

March, 6 2006

Los Angeles police in patrol cars and on motorcycles chased down and rounded up more than 150 ducktailed rebels who were illegally drag racing on the paved bed of the Los Angeles River between 4th and 6th streets east of downtown. In all, 90 souped-up jalopies had been in the riverbed, but 30 of them zoomed off before the drivers were caught.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmmm.... that's funny... the story doesn't really give any more info either...

3. Cword

Cword

Actually there is a give away in the story.
    Above the head line it reads
    "TIMES PAST: MARCH 6, 1955"

Looks like a "fifty years ago today" piece

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Ahhh.... I didn't catch that... But I did see the date right under the headline... Tricky bastards...

5. Z-Man you're a registered reader of the LA Times?
    48Hemi here,
    the great thing about racing in the L.A. River bed is it's concrete and has water a couple times a year. we used to race there all the time. and the water has smoothed the concrete so much over the years (even in the 50's) that a stock 50 ford could break the tires loose in first and second gear.
    My Olds I had to feather the throttle to hook up or those stock fords would get me. really fun in 59 I took my new Triumph Bonneville down there and get into full crossed up powerslides in anygear:D

6. Oops!

Attached Files:

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no oops, great story! your reading comprehension skills are just a little off...

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not really, I logged in then killed the cookie....

9. Cword

Cword

I grabbed a log in from Bug Me Not
    http://www.bugmenot.com/

Mike

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

First thing I thought of was the movie Grease.

I was too young for that, but I was there when Big Willie and the LA Street Racers and others followed them. Wheel tubs, straight axles, race suspensions, roll cages, fenderwell headers, oh, and none of those silly assed engine restrictions NHRA had trying to slow down the SS and pro stockers...
    The only bad part is it was on the streets. LA, Portland, Chicago, Detroit, etc. It was everywhere.