Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dually's on a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austinrod, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

First time I've seen this must be the days before drag slicks
    Only pick I have
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407014931.735042.jpg

From Austinrod

2. Don't be giving "them" guys justification/ideas by showing a picture like that.

3. Sand drags,This one has 8 tires. HRP

dunescooter.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Sweet pic HRP

From Austinrod

5. One more.. HRP

[​IMG]

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Just keeps getting better

From Austinrod

7. another.this stuff is interesting and at least they were having fun. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bingo. And Dyno Don also did this, probably first. They did it for a good reason, The "usual suspects" will pick up on this for an entirely different reason, namely because they are a bunch of r*****s. This is why I have never posted the photos of Dynos car on the HAMB...:rolleyes: Some of these guys dont need ANY extra help to behave like r*****s. Nuff said.

9. FWIW,the images that I posted were cars modified back in the day for one purpose only,to have fun,,how could these be misconstrued as RR's? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Damn right, those old Fords look like a heap of fun, those other two things just look like heaps of shit.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

And then there's the "kookie car"..... The sound you hear is Norm rolling over in his grave.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Strange but kinda interesting.

lowrd likes this.
  13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I hope when that Rosen guy (I think that is the current owner of Norm's T) passes on that someone with a love of the original gets it and returns it to what it was. I find it hard to even look at the monstrosity it has been transformed into. :(:(

Don

hidez57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. camerl2009

camerl2009

I guess duals on the sand may have helped a bit but unless its a allison powered drag car(ie the green monster) I don't see a point. motoandy did you have to post those monstrosity's :(

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I just returned from the NSRA Nats where I saw a 'hot rod' with dual rear wheels. Caught my eye, and it was parked, so I looked it over. The guy had common aftermarket alloy wheels with a fabricated extension, a welded on flange on both ends....that attached by lug nuts to longer lug studs on the inner wheel and had studs in the outer flange for the outer wheel. As it happened (we were both at Registration) I ended up following him down the street to the Fairgrounds.

The wheels appeared to run 'true', no conspicuous wobble, but I can't help but believe that 2 1/2" tube hub extender, and/or flanges, will fatigue at some point and the outer wheel will launch into oncoming traffic or who knows where. An accident waiting to happen, in my opinion.

And none of that even scratches the surface of the issue of totally excessive, unnecessary and undesirable, added unsprung weight to an already light weight chassis/body.

This 'vehicle' also used aluminum connecting rods, big end to big end (no rod caps) bolted together, with the wrist pin ends attached to the axle and chassis, as 4 bar links. That will probably hold together better than the hub extenders.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    seb fontana, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There might be some great story behind that ideer.
    I love odd and out off the box thinking. And this is out there!

Is it possible that this was a easy swap for a Heavy Duty rear end, and they got a two speed rear experiment going on, with an attempt to just sidestep the clutch, put the foot down and slip rear in high and the Go-Baby-Go.

Those dune buggy/dune scooters looks like a lot of fun!
    I love the pictures with really scared people and that sailor (?) with the cap, shades and a diabolic smile.

17. I remembered Eddie Hill's twin engine dragster with dual slicks from old
    Hot Rod magazine race coverage, looked around and found a picture. Think he was successful with it at the time.
    upload_2014-8-3_6-2-50.png

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It wasn't a heavy duty rear end in sense that is was a full floater 3/4 or 1 ton....it appeared to be an 8.8 Ford car or pickup with disc brakes. Certainly not manufactured with dual wheel mounting provisions.

I , too, enjoy " out of the box" thinking.....BUT, it must have sound engineering going for it. Otherwise , it falls into that category referred to in my signature line.

19. AmishMike

AmishMike

dual rear wheels started in Europe sports car hill climb races in late '30's. High power cars like Auto Union needed traction on tight twisty hill climbs. Looks good on some. Friends who were at Nationals many years ago, told me Eddie Hill's dragster left two small holes in asphalt from dual wheels spinning.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember seeing kits for those in JC Whitney catalogs years ago. They were geared toward pickups. You could add duals to any pickup that they made the adapters for. Never seen any in actual use though.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I can't see a signature line, I'm an the app.
    How do you see disc brakes in a fifty-something low quality picture? How does you even see full floating rear end. I see a beautiful car with a dual rear wheels, a lot of sand and another car. But can't see a hub and even brakes. I think I see wide 5 hubs in front but I'm not sure.

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I just realiced, I asked about the first picture. You answer about you post.

My bad.
    I really dont care much for those two RR that motoandy posted. Sorry.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Volvobrynk.......My signature line is:

"In any conflict between Physics and Style, Physics always wins". :D

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

To get back to the original post, I think it was fairly common to run dual rears to try to get the cars to hook up at the drags.

slack likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Despite our best effort, stupid, dangeres stuff still roam the streets!

In Denmark you are not allowed to use spacere, or push the track out more then 5% over stock. The public safety council firmly belives it's will be a safety hazard, that will lead to colapsing wheelbearings and overloading the entire suspension set up.
    And there for not allowed on any street driven car.
    Slight overkill, how we prevent RR to take over.

Blake you beat me too it, I type to slow, and too much. :-/
    Back to the original picture, why? What? And who did it?

26. A Rodder

A Rodder

My Grandfather bought a 65 F100 in 1970. He promptly ordered the JC Whitney dually kit.
    They have been on the truck since. My Mother still owns the truck. I will dig for a pic.

@53olds do you have a pic of my moms pu?

I know its not really relevant to the intention of the thread but since the kit came up I will try to share.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  27. 327Eric

327Eric

I've seen duals multiple times in my old magazines. mostly attempts at traction, one was on a jeep in 1952 hot rod several at the small dragstrip coverage they used to do. Nothin new.

28. OFT

OFT

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

A good pic of Eddie Hill's... EddieHill.jpg

blue57ford likes this.
  30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I still have my 1961 HotRod Yearbook (about 3/4" thick!) with pics of Eddie's car, twin blown Ponchos. It was said that it spun the tires so fast it "melted holes in the starting line". I met Eddie and Ercie and the crew at the boat drags in Chowchilla in '84, as my friends Blown Gas Flatbottom (blown Arias engine was sponsored by the same outfit and pitted together. Really sweet people and down to earth. I saw Eddie at Sears Point years later in '88, the year he ran the first 4-second TF car run, and wore the same "TF boat" shirt with his signature from '84, cracked up and signed it again. He remembered quite well, as my buddy's crew was "colorful" at Chowchilla- found out the hot tub was underneath one of the windows, so took out the window and were doing cannonballs into the tub from the room LOL. He also had a very sweet customized early Bronco that they launched the boat with

volvobrynk likes this.