Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual stromberg 97 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crease, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Crease

Crease

My dad picked up 2 rebuilts 97s for his RPU. The throttle shafts are stock with the ball type levers on them. Does anyone sell a progressive linkage set up for the stock 97s? I swapped my 94 linkages for the longer one and the aluminum levers, but I think that might be outta place on a 4 banger.

Looking forward to some suggestions and thanks in advance.

2. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a banger, jet them both with .042 mains and # 71 powervalves, fuggedabout progressive linkage and run them tandem; join the two left throttleshafts and pull off the right rear ball.

3. Crease

Crease

I hate to admit this.....but............ I had a Sunbeam Alpine. :( The Alpine had dual carbs and it was impossible to keep the carbs synced. I was 16 at the time, so that may factor into the equation. I recall the happiest day of my life being the day I put a single weber on the car. If you've had good luck with it, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

4. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

You just don't run a progressive linkage with 2 carbs. Progressive is for the 3 carb intakes . If you try to run progressive with 2 carbs, you will lean out 4 cylinders & it will run like crap.

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...Sure can run progressive with 2x2.. The plenum must be open and the two 97s close..What kind of intake.. I would look for 81s and run the both at the same time.. No problem to get them to work even.. Adjust the air/fuel mixing screws until the vacuum sounds the same, or get the Unisync (sp) tool..
    Duane.

6. Crease

Crease

Supposedly the intake is baffled to compensate and designed to be run off 1 or 2 carbs.

text from the lit...

"The Equalizer has a mixing plenum. This allows the fuel to mix and "equalize", which makes it possible to use one functioning carb and one as a dummy. Perfect for those that want to run a single for their normal driving and duals for hill climbs and such. A clever guy could rig up a progressive linkage too. Bosses are cast in for linkage and a vacuum. Cast in 356-T6 aluminum."

7. Crease

Crease

I actually have a Unisync if I didn't throw it out when I got rid of the Sunbeam. I thought I would NEVER see one of those again. :)

Dad has already bought the 97s, but the 81s are a great idea. The intake is an Equalizer from Charlie Yapp. Dad buys intakes like I buy food for the family. If it's too tough to get it set up, I'll just go single dwon draft.

Any suggestions on fuel pump/regulator set ups? I am told that moving the carb up 6 inches does wonders for fuel pressure. ;)

8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Important..97s only like 2 to 2 1/2 psi..If you have a stock fuel pump make sure the psi is correct to the 97s..If your going to use a electric fuel pump, make sure you a fuel pressure regulator that will adjust down to correct psi..Holly make a very good Low Pressure pump..Also, need a good pressure gauge, Moon liquid filled is good..
    I would run the two 97s on progressive linkage, if you don't like it, make it straight linkage..
    Also, I don't believe in under or over jetting a 97, maybe up or down one same with power valves..97s seem to run best stock, not modified..
    My 7cents
    Duane..

9. Crease

Crease

Thanks for the input. I will get a regulator and gauge on order.