Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual pot master cylinder set up for shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I was just wondering if anyone has some good input for setting up a dual pot master cylinder in a shoebox.

I have a disc brake set up in front and want to go with a new manual master cylinder. I was thinkin' maybe one from a late 60's GM pick-up or Chevelle. I've seen the Jamco kits and I think I can do it myself for alot cheaper. Mounting one in the stock location is an option, but it looks like I may have clearance problems and i'll definately have to make an access door in the floor.

I was thinking along the lines of mounting it on the firewall and maybe finding a an existing brake and clutch pedal assy. from something else. I was at the wrecking yard earlier and saw one from an International Scout that looked like it would work perfect, but they wanted an arm and a leg for it. And I still didn't even know if it would fit good.

Has anyone had luck with a brake and clutch pedal assembly that works good for this? Keep in mind I have the stock column.

Im thinkin' of building one from scratch at work, but was interested in knowing if anyone had successfully done this already by swapping at existing assembly into thier car.

2. I just did my '50 shoobox and installed a '80 Monza pedal assembly.
    GM metric cars work good too(monte,malibu,lemans etc).....Shiny

3. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

my buddy has done the mastercylinder swap using a 53 ford/ merc hanging pedal. bolts right up. you only have to drill one small hole in the firewall.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Can you do it and keep the master under the floor?

5. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Anything is possible. It just looks like it would be a bitch to mount, and plumb new lines. Im really not a fan of that location in the first place other than it keeps more clutter off of my firewall.

I think a swing pedal would be an easier set up.

Im going to take the old one out after work today and see how a late 60's one fits in it's place.

I know alot of guy's who airbag shoeboxes do the firewall conversion