Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual points, only spark from one set? HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyfire, May 26, 2012.

1. Hyfire

Hyfire

Hello guys,

I'm working on a 1958 Chrysler and got spark from the rear points, but no spark from the front points.

It opens and closes but no spark. I cleaned the contacts and they seem to be good. Also, new coil, condenser and ballast resister...

ANY IDEAS???

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Make sure the plate inside is secured in the right position.spent three hours today messing with a Mallory dual point to find one of the screws keeping the plate in place was loose and thus throwing internals out of alignment.

3. Hyfire

Hyfire

Got it! Thanks!

Josh

4. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Check the connection (wire) between the points for continutity.

5. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Duel points only produce one spark. The opening and closing of the points overlap, giving a longer dwell so that the coil can absorb more energy for a stronger single discharge, not two shots.

6. Hyfire

Hyfire

Thank you guys.

I discovered this the hard way Dominick, thank you! I moved-on and kept troubleshooting. Ended up the parts store sold me the wrong condenser. Back up and going!

Thanks guys...
    Josh

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This is not always true. There are some systems that divide the cylinders in half and share the duty. You can tell by counting the lobes -- four lobes on a 8 cylinder distributor.