Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual points distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by profishguide2, Oct 22, 2021.

1. profishguide2

profishguide2

Went to replace points on my 57 Chevy 236 six and found dual points. Distributor has no markings, looks stock. I want to replace with a Pertronics kit, but don’t know what I have. Plate reads 25038 B75BFEA3-0959-4EE7-9CAF-930D8F0833EE.jpeg 43111EBC-E71B-40F5-A37F-FDFA13032E9E.jpeg 79A8AFD7-126C-4663-A221-5CA7BE16F444.jpeg 764BC692-90E9-46EB-B7CE-272F33B0BDA1.jpeg

1Nimrod, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'd keep the points. I'm pretty sure that's a Mallory conversion. Hard to find now.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's most likely an aftermarket dual point conversion, probably a Mallory. I'd keep it over a Pertronix, but if you insist, don't throw it away; someone will want it.

My own personal opinion? Since you're going with a 6 cylinder (which is very traditional), keep the dual point conversion; it'll beat a Pertronix hands down in the long run.

Bob Lowry, VANDENPLAS, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  4. Gofannon

Gofannon

Turn it into one of these. You just need some Nash Twin Six parts and some machining.
    upload_2021-10-23_10-53-20.jpeg

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Why?

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just so the O/P knows; aftermarket (including Pertronics) electronic ignition conversions are notorious for failing unexpectedly and at the worst times. A points system will degrade slowly and give you plenty of time to get home and fix the problem.

You have inherited a nice piece of hot-rodding history; don't blow it.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

didn't early Corvette 6 cyl motors have dual point distributors? - the Mallory distributors that I have used had a Mallory ID plate attached to body of distributor - if OP wants Pertronix for his unique distrib should contact them - I have never had a Pertronix set up fail - same with dual points - if anything, condenser has failed

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it was mine I would keep the dual points and use it to trigger a Ford thick film ignition module. The points will last practically forever, just check for wear every 20,000 miles or so.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  9. pitman

pitman

The pair, claims also to fatten the spark. Not a bad setup at all.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Run the dual points set up, is too cool!

Deuces likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mallory didn't only supply dual point distributors, but they also offered conversion packages for stock distributors back in the day. I believe that's what this is. In 1959, the first piece of speed equipment that I ever bought was a Mallory dual point conversion kit for my '51 Ford. It consisted of two sets of points and a breaker plate to mount them on, all going inside the distributor. It did come with the big brass "Trash Can" condenser that mounted on the outside of the distributor for all to see. I could point to it and tell my buddy's that I had a "high performance racing distributor". Here's a picture of a an Olds "Rocket" distributor with on of the dual point Mallory conversions with an externally mounted "Trash Can" condenser.
    Condenser2.jpg

Unfortunately, good Mallory condensers are very hard to come by these days, so I am making quality reproductions.
    Condenser1.jpg

If you're interested, you can contact me.

Kinda clever how I moved this thread into a promotion for my stuff, ehh.:D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I'd far rather run that dual point rather than a Pertronix. The dual points aren't going to leave you stranded miles from town.

13. FYI; I converted my 230 distributor to late model Chrysler electronic ignition. I like the Chrysler ignition combinde with an MSD5 box, bullet proof reliability and great spark.

Wiring diagram for my setup
    MSD for Chrysler ignition.jpg

Stock setup. Remove everything shown here including the cam.
    P3160002.jpg

This is what the points plate looks like ready for the Chrysler compinents.
    P3160003.JPG

These are the parts you need from a junk yard distributor. Shown are roters for a 6 and a V8. Not shown is the chrysler electronic module. Available at parts store.
    P3160005.JPG

Notch the case for the wire pass-thru P3160006.JPG

I cut a window in an old distributor cap time the new electronic pickup. I can't remember but I think the cam is machined off the shaft which is sized for a press fit for the Chysler rotor.
    P5040077.JPG

1Nimrod and Budget36 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exuuuuse, me! Isn't this a forum about traditional hot rods? If someone wants to convert to electronic ignition, there are other places to go.

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

GCxm.gif

Deuces likes this.
  17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Moved from single points to dual on my Pontiac- starts more easily and the points stay making a good contact for much longer than a single set- in 3000 miles I've only had to adjust them twice and neither time they needed cleaning. When one decided to close up it gave me plenty warning.
    The dwell on a twin points setup is huge, too- much more reliable spark for high speed/passing/wide open throttle.

Clean them, set them, enjoy the drive.

Phil

18. 261’s in big trucks had duel point distributors

vettes had them also , but pretty sure all vettes where tach drive as well.

keep it, run it.

If your hell bent on going electronic, and this is an oem duel point distributor, sell it and buy a regular one to gaffer with.

Truckdoctor Andy, PhilA and Deuces like this.
  19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early GM tach's were usually driven off the back of the generator. But I agree, keep it, run it.

20. v8flat44

v8flat44

Good to see you on here Phil, hope "things" are better.....

PhilA likes this.