Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual Point Mallory on 8ba issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JasonCarGuy, Jul 5, 2013.

1. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I've been running into some problems with my flathead in my '31 pickup. The other day I drove it to work and made it about 10 miles before it started bucking and sputtering to the point it wouldn't even really run. Got it home and read that Mallory Dual Point Distributors are noted for having issues with the condensers. Replaced the concenser and it cleared up and ran great. Then a couple days go by, just drove it about 3 miles around the neighborhood, but today decided I would drive it to work again. I was a mile into my drive when it started bucking and sputtering again, whats the deal? Did it go through another condenser? Are the points bad? This distributor is only about a year to year and a half old? Should I be running some special condenser, just put on a 49-73 Ford style, shouldn't any V8 condenser of that era work. Is my Mallory Dual Point set up wrong? Baffled, about ready to pull this Mallory Dual Point out. Going to call Bubba today and get his opinion along with a call to Mallory. Thanks anyone that can help. Why after a year having this problem?

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Both the condensors and the points suck.

Get a set of Echlin 2300 points, or even better, a Pertronix unit to fit inside.

3. Tank

Tank

I dont have a solid answer for you, but I have had the same issue with the Mallory dual point on my '53 Merc. engine. I found a box of new old condensers at a swap meet. They weigh about twice what the new ones do. and last a hell of a lot longer too. Why it goes through them so badly... I dont know.

On another note, I have read and talked to the guys at H&H when they came to Columbus Oh. Goodguys. The Mallory dualpoints are notorious for advancing way too far out of the box. I think he said like in the 40-45 deg range. He told me the sweet spot for a Flathead was around 25 total.

4. GMCBubba has stated in previous posts that the original big brass condensors were rated @ 32 mfd. The new replacement ones that Mallory sells are rated a lot less, making them prone to crap out. Give Bubba a call as he may have some good used ones, or if not he sells one for a magneto that will work without issue.

5. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

ALL of the condensers in the aftermarket are Chinese made.

'Nuff said.

SinglefingerSpeedShop.com

6. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

Bubba has Vertex mag condensers for $20. He will set up your Mallory for the correct advance.

7. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Those speedway mallory dual points distributors are pretty sorry out of the box. They need to be gone over to correct the advance and put good points and condensers in them. Bubba did mine and it's been in there for many thousands of miles.

8. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Regapped points to .022 today, reset timing, another new condenser. Took it out and it ran great low end, top end bogging down. Brought it back and adjusted the bottom plate to allow more mechanical advance at top end, runs much better now. May call Bubba tomorrow since he's been out with the holiday, see what his thoughts are and prices. It's running pretty good right now but going through the multiple condensers recently has me questionable, maybe it was just because they were crappy new ones like a lot of things these days. It will be driven more over the next few weeks to make sure it's sorted out for the KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in Salina that's coming up in a few weeks. Keep the comments coming from what I've heard so far several people have fought these new Mallory Dual Point distributors.

Attached Files:

9. I seem to be having the same issue with mine tonight. How is it holding up so far?

10. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Been running fine since my last post and all those changes. Moving the bottom plate over helped a lot. Of course replacing the crapped out condenser had to be done and so far so good.

11. After lot of start problems days ago try to start mu flathead with the mallory distributor,,engine won't start ....i put a new chevy modified distributor from Bubba's....engine fire up at first time and is better too....that mallory dual point sure is not well tuned for the flathead ...

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its an age old problem with 8ba's----I ran into the very same thing in 1955 when I had my flathead built to 3/4 race specs.
    Every time you would wind up in 2nd gear---the old saying---You would start "Shooting ducks"---Bang-Bang!!
    Replace the culprit condensor----Ran great!!

13. The later Mallory Dual points have issues with maintaining point gap. if this one is only a year or two old it would fall into that category. You have to scuff the underside of the points to keep them from sliding around.

I have not had a problem with one loosing a condenser but it is always best to buy the best ignition parts you can swing. Someone mentioned Echlin points they also market a pretty good condenser. Whenever I have run any type of points ignition I have tried to run Echlin points, that would include Mallory ignition.

One thing that you need to be sure of on any ignition circuit is grounding. It needs to be properly grounded. One of the culprits to any ignition be it electronic or mechanical is heat and bad grounds will cause heat which will cause an electrical component to fry. So anyplace that any component needs to be grounded needs to be looked at very carefully, that would include the distributer body as well as where the condenser and points are landed. No paint no grease or crud. make sense?

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This is an old thread, but I had a problem with point alignment with the original Mallory points. The contacts just weren't hitting squarely so accurate gapping was a problem and was also causing hot spots and pitting. You can see how flimsy they're made just by how the pivot mount is open-ended plastic instead of a closed metal bushing. Compare a set of Echlin CS2300 points and you'll be convinced. In the end I went to Pertronix, but the Echlins are still in the trunk box in case of emergency.