Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dual Pass radiant finned trans cooler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Are these frame mount tranny coolers good. I do not want to block my radiator/ but will be able to mount in in the air stream, and the mech fan will be able to pull air across it. Might be able to use up to a 24" dual pass unit. I wil not be using the stock radiator cooler.

2. saucerhead

saucerhead

I used one on my last Deuce Rdster mounted on the boxing plate inside the frame rail about where the door meets the quarter. The car had a 355 small block and a 700r4.
    No problems with heat.

3. captmullette

captmullette

mine does fine in my A 355 sbc drag/street car

4. mrharley51

mrharley51

Used them on 3 builds and no problems running turbo 350's with stock converters. Make sure you get a dual pass and get as big a one as you can. Loose converter will build lots of heat and I would be wary then

5. ...I've used em on every car I've built, mounted on frame beside trans, brackets so it gets air on both sides, keep away from exhaust pipes, work great, never a problem.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Based on advice, the consensus is to run transmission coolers in a series, from pressure outlet of transmission through radiator first and then through an auxiliary cooler before going back to transmission. Running it this way brings the ransmission up to operating temperature quicker.

Firstly, the reasons for this is that if the transmission fluid is hot, it will be cooled more quickly and efficiently by the radiator. Secondly, if it is cool it will be warmed up and yes they can run too cool. When they run cool condensation that may be in the system remains there, NOT GOOD. The transmission needs heat for self preservation but not too much.

If the fluid is too hot after it leaves the radiator it will be cooled by the auxiliary cooler before going back to the transmission. Auxiliary coolers need to be mounted where airflow isn't impeded as it needs to dissipate or radiate the heat, air flowing through and over does the job. If stuck for space a small slimline auxiliary cooler with a fan could be the go.

In colder areas and on short trips, the transmission may not get hot enough to reach optimum operating temperature. By being routed through radiator firstly it will be heated to a better temperature.

I checked my late model in the garage and this is the way the big manufacturers now do it. They spend $M on R&D so why not take advantage of their expertise, it's free. IMHO I wouldn't just run an auxiliary cooler. I would definitely use your radiator. Why, because the transmission generates the second greatest amount of heat beside the engine.

I personally prefer to run fluid line through the radiator first and then back through auxiliary transmission cooler. Last thing you want to do is grenade your transmission due to heat buildup and heat will kill them eventually. I've never been a fan of just a stand alone transmission cooler in isolation.

Normal transmission range is between 180F- 250F with pan temperature @ 60mph being 180F. Any more that 20mins @300F and you could need some repairs. When towing a load the temp can easily rise to 250F. Pull a steep hill or grade, tow a trailer and it'll easily rise to 200F+, continue to do things it wasn't designed for and you could easily destroy it by boiling.

Good fluid is pink, red means used, Brown or with a red tint means too long.

7. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Well I would do that, But my radiator does not have a built in cooler. (was manual shift and has new radiator, not going to replace it).

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have run them frame mounted but I run two of them-may be overkill.

9. I have run one on my RPU for years. Mounted outside the frame under the splash apron. Works great.