Register now to get rid of these ads!

dual hanging pedals for dual brake system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgeyoung, Sep 12, 2013.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I am building a 32 roadster to appear pretty "1960 B/R Drag car" original. It will appear to have an early ford toploader tranny and clutch from inside, but I am actually using an auto trans. I am thinking of using hanging pedals like the early chevy trucks used, with the pedals welded together to operate as a single pedal.

In the interest of safety, I want to have a dual-system brake master cylinder, and since the hanging pedals put both of the cylinders out on the firewall in full view, I am wondering if I could fab some type of equalizing bar system and use one cylinder to operate the front brakes and the other to handle the rear.

Has anyone tried anything similar, or have any ideas that would help?

Thanks!

2. cagedruss

cagedruss

You could build something but why not use a Wilwood or Tilton dual master hanging set? CNC and Morrison also have sets. All the engineering is already done. I use them in all my race cars. Look on Ebay for used sets.

3. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Thanks for the input, but that would be too easy! They just don't look 1960. Even with early master cylinders adapted to them, the pedals don't look early, either. I want it too look like someone would have done it to head for the strip in 1960.

4. krooser

krooser

You can use an adjustable prop valve... available everywhere.

5. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Chevy didn't hang pedals until 1960, so I'd venture to say using "early Chevy truck" stuff, wouldn't be correct for what you're after anyways.

6. classic gary

classic gary

im using Ansen hanging pedals and a GMC pickup master/master in my A. but one is for the brakes and the other is for the clutch. All the race car shops/suppliers have a balance bar type of front/rear two master pedal setup. check the online race car cataloge Speedway has.
    Didn't VOLVO use a split braking system in the early 60's?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. madmak95

madmak95

If im not mistaken the clutch and brakes master are on the wrong side for the pedals. You have to change the guts out. Making the clutch side operate the brakes and the brake side operate the clutch. If this is true why not just change out the clutch side to operate a brake and leave other brake side alone. Make one side controlled front brake and other side controlled back brakes? Tie the pedals together or one pedal to operate both masters at once. They also make a single pedal unit that uses the old fruit jar master cylinders.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. So, you're trying to fake a stick 'look' with three pedals.

Faux anything is still faux.

And it's been done.

Attached Files:

9. madmak95

madmak95

10. madmak95

madmak95

If it was me id use the 60's gmc truck master cylinder to keep it looking right under the hood. I dont like the look of the new style cylinders but would tie the push rods to one break pedal if I was running an auto trans.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you don't like the looks of the pedals it's easier to change them, than to change to a complete different system to get the pedals you want. I chopped off old round pad pedals and welded them to my new brake arms to retain an old style look.

12. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

Thanks for the help (everybody but Cosmo!), I think I may try an Ansen set up with two brake cylinders and an adjustable proportioning valve. I will tie both pedals together where either operates the brakes.

13. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

have one pedal for front brakes only]burn out control
    have other pedal apply both for normal stopping

pin on 2nd pedal would apply 1st pedal at same time

14. Dual jelly jars was a common mod back when I was a kid. They would use dual jelly jars with a balance bar between them.

If you are lookijg for a true dual system for saftey's sake this is the only way to go. After 40+ years in this industry I have yet to see a single master with a split resevoir that did not fail completely, it just doesn't happen.