Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual Coupling Hydramatic Transmission.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Pontiacpower, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

Looking for a dual coupling hydramatic transmission. Any ideas out there?

2. ..READ the "sticky" at the top of the page...INTRODUCE YOURSELF.per HAMB protocol....

3. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

4. You didnt..plus you only listed Texas on the profile page that you filled out to be able to make a posting...

5. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

Im Tim, from Texas and currentley serving in Afghanistan in the Marine Coprs. Me and my dad have been looking for a dual coupling hydramatic transmission and have still yet to come across one. Haven't dug to deep. Just found this website and figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes.

6. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Welcome Tim, and thanks for your service. Can you get a little more specific on the car and exactly what your issue is? I'm in Fort Worth, what part of TX is home for you?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Thats great Tim...Thanks also for your service,,,Please tell us what car you are working on....

8. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

It's a 79 Chevy pickup truck short wheel base. We have a 400 Pontiac with a turbo 400 tranny. Me and my dad are looking for a dual coupling hydramatic 4 speed tranny. In the column. I've done some searching and all I get are the faq's about the tranny. Come in 59 and 60 Oldsmobile. Any advice where to find one. I. Out of Lufkin, Tx

9. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to put a DC hydro behind a 400? Everyone usually tries to do the opposite...i.e. put something besides a DC behind a 389 (usually 1964 or ealier). I'm probably wrong but I think the only DC that "might" bolt up would be the 1964 version.

10. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

Another gear would be nice, plus my dad owned a 63 Pontiac Starchief with a 389 that had the DC hydro in it and he said its a good tranny. Just cant seem to find one. 389 and 400 have the same bolt pattern.

11. khead47

khead47

I, too, have been searching for a hard to find part. I have been searching on "zoomthelist.com", daily. You can search CL nationwide on that site. Good luck.

12. Pontiacpower

Pontiacpower
    from Texas

Thanks man, found exactly what I was looking for.

13. 55yak

55yak

I have a very good shifting 1955 Pontiac Hydro. Don't remember if those were what you called Dual Coupling. This trans was in my 55 Chieftain and I just installed a 700R4 overdrive which isn't running yet. I bought it from a friend who had it in his 62 Catalina which would have normally had the Slim Jim. The Hydro does have a small drip from the front pump area. Always had since I have owned it (about 10 years) but does not seem to be a porosity issue. It also happens to have a B&M furnace bronzed torus assembly. I am asking $300 and would throw in another complete 4-speed Hydro for spare parts for that price but be aware, these are heavy units and I am not paying freight. I also have bell housing, and cradle with mounts. If interested let me know.
    55yak

14. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The earlier 4 speed hydros were dual range and not the same as the dual coupling. The dual range versions were the ones that B&M and others made famous. There's not much if anything at all you can do to change the performance of the dual coupling. Finding parts for either of these can be a challenge depending on what's needed + people that really know their way around these as far as repair aren't that easy to find...latter comment is my opinion.

15. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Please keep this thread alive !