Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dual carbs mounted on the Crosley!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Well they are mounted and not quite dialed in yet, it's running pretty good... but not perfect. had to make a special box wrench out of a Chinese wrench to get the nuts tightened on the studs for the intake / exhaust manifolds, need smaller hands...

Now I just need to install the Pertronix and call it good.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

I have that tool too... it's crosley-mandatory.

looking good!

3. Choptop

Choptop

pressed tin engine or iron?

4. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

A buddy gave me a ride in his brothers Crosley 'Hot Shot', dam thing hauled ass for what it was. I guess they were the "Miata" of their time.

5. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Nope, He just sawed his red top Optima in half cuz he did not have room to fit the whole thing in the tray ! LOL....
    I think there is a dirty joke here , something about a BIG horn with little.....
    Great way to start the day !
    Crosleys RULE , IMO
    Have a good day, Y'all
    Dave

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Is that a Braje manifold? that what I have on my crosley powered trike

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  7. retromotors

retromotors

Great car, and a great photo.
    Those are Crosley grins for sure!:D
    [​IMG]

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If both carbs are working (non progressive) then they need to be synched so that the throttle plates are opening at the same time and through the same distance. You need one of the tools the are used on multi carbed motorcycles or that folks use on ther dual carbed british cars. Unisynch is the name of one. You are adjusting the linkage so that both carbs are set the same. If you don't have access to a tool, you can do a fair job with a piece of tubing like fuel line. This works similar to blowing over the opening of a beer bottle. As you know the tone changes based on the about of beer left in the bottle. Same thing applies to the colume of air moving through the carb.

You place the tube at the edge of the carb opening perpendicular to the air flow. Then hold the other end to your ear, you will be able to compare the tone of the air through the tube. When the tones match the carbs are in synch.

Have fun!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Maranized Crosley's ( Bearcat, Fisher Pierce, Homelite), came stock with dual carbs, not that nice though!
    Moriarity, can you send me more pic's of that trike? If so send me a PM, thanks.

10. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

It's iron. I do have a tin engine too....

11. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Thanks, I'll make sure they are synched, I have a Unisnch, supposedly they were supposed to be synched when I bought the setup. It's doing a bit of stumbling and I was thinking that might purely be individual carb adjustments. But as a precaution I will take your advice and check them out. Thanks,

Jim

12. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Crosley, A Fine Car. In the early 60's a friend's father had a convertible (cabriolet?). Took us a bit to figure out what "afinecar" was. May be wrong but I think that was on the horn button or maybe the dash.

13. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I'm seeing new hoses, motor mounts, a 6V optima, nice pair of duals, and huge grins, but that horn must add 50 H.P. Now, take it back & give Grandpa another ride.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

remember the adjustment is through the linkage not the idle speed or idle air screws. You adjust thsoe as necessary after the carbs are singing off the same page. Having the tool will make it easier. I have dual carbs on my Plymouth flat 6 and the synching process improved response, taking away the WOT stumble, and also the burble I had when letting off the gas from a steady cruise. Also had a bit of uneven runing at 30-35 that went away after the carbs were matched.

15. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

I think my grandpa stuck that horn on there.... I put some new skins on it too... I think I will go give grandpa a ride!

16. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Okay, that sounds like the problem. I'll synch 'em!

17. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Okay, carbs are synched. It runs awesome!

Paul Smith: I just took it to Engels, it was a hit! I think they got inspired and will have a show! More on that later....

18. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Okay, finally getting all the parts together to build a real hot-rod Crosley engine... just got the rest of my parts from Braje, even got a full race bump-stick....

I got an "Aerojet" Crosley marine engine to build, the lower ends of them are tough... It should be cranking out close to 45HP - 50HP which is an incredible increase from the stock 30HP!:eek:

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Tank

Tank

Dude. now thats cool. I had the pleasure of driving a Crosley once. A friend stored it in my garage for a while. Told me I could exercise it every now and then. It was kinda fun! Yours looks to be a little peppier then the one I drove though. Have to show this to my dad, he'll get a kick out of it for sure. He owned a Crosley for a while.

20. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

How's about an all aluminum Crosley? Got one if any of you Crosley guys are interested.It comes with a custom tube header set up for 2 Amal carbs and a Mallory dual point.NOS bare engine with a forged 6 bolt crank.Rare shit and expensive.Didn't make em? Sure did----------5 total I think.Crazy stuff.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. The boy in that Crosley ought to be big enough to drive that car...what, tomorrow?

Cool pic, and a neat little engine. Looks like a load of fun!

22. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I once owned a 49 Crosley station wagon. Amazing how much interior room there is in that tiny car - that's why they worked so well at the circuses. I also once had a Crosley-powered doodlebug.

BTW you can lay that 6 v Optima on its side in the battery tray - it will fit perfectly.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

haha! awsome Jim! can't wait to hear it!

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I dont care who you are, thats funny right there....

Sweet looking speed fodder....I spit and polish the engine compartment, slap the old school aluminum parts on (along with the internals) and rock it like god intended...

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That's an awesome display of hop-up parts. I ha no idea so much was available for the little Crosley.

Frank

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

fun little cars and great little engines to mess around with...I was having a ball with this little contraption when I was 14. I learned a lot from playing with the Crosley. It was a blast going up and down the street with it...
    a perfect way to learn about engines, kind of like working on a model car, just a bit bigger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

I'm pretty excited about "the build" it's all about having something cool that you don't see every day..... oughtta be a head turner! Good thing I have a built BB in my 66 SS to "offset" this cute little engine.

28. grapp

grapp

Wow that dragster is cool!

29. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Okay, the header is back from being ceramic metal coated....

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.