Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual carb choke cable set up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51PanelMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

I'm in the final stages of completing the dual carb set up on my 215 OHV 6 cyl engine in my 52 Panel truck. However, I'm stumped as to how to fabricate and/or route the choke cable to both carburetors.

Does any one have any ideas or pictures?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gearhd69 likes this.
  2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Just hook up one

3. Or run two cables!

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

last several multi carb setups I've done did fine with no choke

and I never use tape (or any thread sealer) on fuel line fittings

5. mustangsix

mustangsix

If you look at an early TR6 they have a dual choke cable that feeds a single knob.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've just got a cable run to the rear carb on my '53 Chevy, and never have any cold start problems.

Jlsandov321 likes this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a banger with 2 97's and use a choke rod on the front carb. No problems on starting.

8. 1952henry

1952henry

I see you got your glass bowl issue dealt with! Good luck with the start up!

9. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

Thanks for the advice. I'd prefer to do a dual choke cable, somehow. Will have to some more research.

However, if I connect one, does it matter which carb the cable is connected to, front or rear??

Yes, the glass bowl issue is resolved for now, but I'm still looking for a few more replacements for "just in case".

I was able ro run the engine yesterday after over five years of the truck sitting idle.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbDPe6SUMjM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LbDPe6SUMjM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

10. 1952henry

1952henry

The rear carb may be easier.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I hooked up both chokes on my 97s just for shits and giggles and because I've never seen anyone else do it. I never use it. It's a lot colder here and I don't need it.

Remember you have 2 acellerator pumps now. 2 pumps of the pedal and I hit the button. It might stumble a bit on really cold days for a short time until the temps get up but unless it sits for several days and the gas evaporates, it should start right up. I'm rarely in a rush when I drive my hotrod so on really cold days I let it warm up a tad before I get out into traffic. It's never been a problem for me.

Your stock cable should hook up easily to the rear carb. I'd hook it up because it's there but I wouldn't worry about the front carb. JMHO

12. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

Thanks for the picture! I'd like to hook both to a choke cable just because, like you said, I haven't seen anyone else do it on my type of set up.

Hopefully, the Panel will fit into my garage. If it does, that's where it'll be staying when I'm not driving it. I don't normally drive my old vehicles in the rainy and cold weather.

13. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

You could run the cable from the dash to the rear carb, then get a piece of bicycle brake cable and run that between the two carbs (you will have to come up with some kind of bracket). It would work just like a kickdown cable. A bit of slop shouldn't matter. If you use Holley 94's they have a detent spring that flips them all the way open or closed anyway.

Alternately you could do another pivot rod setup like the throttle, connect it to both chokes, and connect the cable to one of the ends.

14. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

Choking one carb usually works pretty well, though.

15. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

Thanks for the advice. If I choke only one carb, should the choke the other carb be fully open, fully closed, or half way?

16. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

On 41 Buick Factory Dual carb setuo they only choked the rear carb

17. slimpick

slimpick

Nice bowls! That must make it easy to adjust the level.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Fully open and secured that way.

I was showing off with a couple of buddies in my moms 51 Chevy in the snow about 1963. I spun the tires in the snow taking off from a light. The car reved way up and shut off in the middle of the intersection. I thought I blew the motor. One of the guys with me said you sucked the choke closed. I removed the air cleaner and sure enough the choke blade was slammed shut killing the engine. You'll never know the relief that I felt when it started back up after I opened the choke blade again.:D