Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual 2's like on the Roach Rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Any one have some pics on the build up of that dual 2BBL carb intake SamIam made on his ole' Roach Rod? I looked thru the old threads on it and noticed he said he didn't have any pics so didn't want to bother him with a P.M.
    Actually just trying to figure out what intake was used, and what carb mounts were used. I assume it was an aluminum intake cut down and welded up with 2bbl adapters on the ends of it ?!?!?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

3. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Was it, but weren't they 2gc's with a 4 bolt mount??? I'm looking at the pics on an Ipod so can't tell for sure, the pics are tiny? But if so, that was FAST and simple THANKS a lot!!!.

4. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I'd also like to see this

5. hammeredt

hammeredt

I contacted Sam about the intake some years ago. I have since lost the information that he game me regarding what intake he used. I used an old Weiand intake. I think it was an 8024, but I am not positive. Basically your looking for something with a large flat surface on top. I would think the Weiand Stealth would work well (though I know nothing about the performance of that intake. If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider using a three deuce intake and modifying the center mount.

Here is mine. I am running 2 Carter WGDs. It took some tuning, but now it runs great!

I modified the flow of the intake internally to balance the flow since it was a dual plane intake. Once you mill off the top, you loose the top and bottom balanace of the dual plane. I divided it front to back rather than top to bottom. The front carb feeds the front cylinders and the rear carb handles the rear.

This was basically a days work.

[​IMG]

6. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

FRIGGIN' PERFECT Thank you!! Thats what I am looking for!!! Had it started by milling the top of my intake off, but then got stalled on the balancing of the cylinders issue like you mentioned, I knew HIS ran and drove good, so figured that was a good place to start. I'll take your info in and go from there, Thanks again, Ken

7. hammeredt

hammeredt

I just used a think plate of aluminum drilled and taped, and carb spacers from Dashman (68rrman on Ebay) with 2 sets of gaskets.

Less welding, less heat. No post welding machining required.

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

9. 46stude

46stude

Did he run 2 different manifolds? Those pics definately show an adapter on what looks to be a 4V intake, yet I seem to remember he milled down an intake & made it a "true" dual 2V intake.

Now I'm confused........

10. 46stude

46stude

11. Attached Files:

12. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

That must be the "sam-o-ram" that I saw referenced to in another thread.

13. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

THAT, THAT, THAT is the intake I am talking about!!! Aluminum, squared off runners/ carb mounting pads, and I believe 4 bolt mount 2GC's.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Cool intake... :cool:

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Looks like a Creitz of some sorts ........................................

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My memory says that Sam made the aluminum blocks, machined the intake, welded them into the used intake and ground it all to look like a factory made unit. I was impressed when he did it. It was all custom made by Sam.

17. Hi guys!

Yep, there were two intakes.

The first one that enjenjoe mentioned was a stock wcfb cast iron intake with an Offy adaptor... I still have it.

The next one is the Sam-O-Ram that I fabbed up with help from my friend Steve Pattee and Phil Howard.

Phil machined the adaptor out of a solid hunk of aluminum...

then I took a Weiand X-celerator intake and cut the top out, fitted Phil's part to it and then had Steve weld it up.

I then ground it all smooth, and sand blasted it.

Made it look cast!

The thing ran great and had something like 780cfm with the two big BOP 2gc two barrels.

Ran mid 12's in the Roach Rod on 5" wide bias plys with aa four speed!

Damn, that was fun.

Sam

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I just remember that super tall one!
    ;)
    TP

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I tried blocking off the center carb on a 3 carb intake.. Didn't work.. Wouldn't flow right...