Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drums or Discs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38nailhead, Dec 24, 2014.

1. 38nailhead

38nailhead
    from England

38 Ford eventually running a blown 401 nailhead. Will be discs up front but what for the rear...?
    I would really like to run it with a set of finned Buick drums but is it best to run discs or drums with the block that will be up front ?

Thanks

2. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

I would be interested in staying away from power brakes of any kind. A very good system can be cobbled up with manual discs on all four corners, with a 6:1 to 7:1 brake pedal ratio and a master cylinder bore somewhere around 7/8" to 15/16ths, depending on vehicle weight. A very light car might get by with a 1" or larger bore to restrict pedal movement.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt you'd need disc brakes in back...you could get them if you really want, but you'll be fine with drums. Car in my avatar has discs front, drums rear, and stops ok, even when it gets up to 134 in the 1/4 mile.

4. 38nailhead

38nailhead
    from England

Thanks guys, that's all I needed to know

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

X2 for discs up front, drums in the rear. The front brakes do most of the work, the rears help balance the car and help keep it going in a straight line. Just be sure to spend some time setting up your front/rear proportioning valve to get maximum stopping power without locking up the rear wheels.

6. stimpy

stimpy

the discs up front will do most of the stopping , so go drums in the back . also the drums will be less to lock up than the discs if the braking is super hard . a skidding wheel is not a stopping wheel as it rolls on little balls of rubber and gravel . use a combination valve on the whole system with a adj proportioning valve on the rears if you have dissimular wheel diameters . ( big and littles )