Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum to Disc Conversion - 8 inch Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeep-joint, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

I know I've been searching for a Drum to disc conversion for my 8 inch ford rear axle. I believe others have been as well.

I just received this one found on ebay. Item #350441305165
    It arrived today and initial review indicates a very well designed conversion.

I thought the $299.00 price was very reasonable compared to others I've found. It even includes emergency brake cables.

In the past, I've searched and made my own conversion. If this works, I'm already time ahead.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

2. Cool.

I've seen the Crown Vic drum ta' disc conversion for small bearing Ford rears but they need 15" wheels, I think.

What kind'a calipers does it come with?

Are the install instructions available online?

3. Just noticed he's sold 162 of them kits!

4. That'sa bunch; must be somthin' to it...

5. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

From the ebay item description.
    This kit requires 14" disc brake wheels or 15" or larger rims.

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Can you swap it for an Explorer 8.8" ? They come with factory disc, with a built in emer / parking brake. Or, round up a set of those brake assemblies from a wrecking yard.....

4TTRUK

7. I dunno'.

I've actually seen this kinda' Crown Vic swap by a local dude on a OT ('stang) car with a small bearing rear:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358587

I'm way too lazy for it.

BTW, I already got Granada 14" disc brake steel wheels collectin' dust.

Edited ta' add:

I contacted the dude sellin' the kit via Egay- he said it uses '85 Eldorado calipers.

He's forwardin' me the instructiond an' I'll post them up when I get 'em.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. I contacted the dude sellin' these an' he sent me the install instructions.

Looks like'a pretty complete kit with no cutting or grinding on the rear end housing axle flanges.

Sure beats the idea of crawlin' 'round a muddy junk yard and droppin' the diff cover on a wrecked PO-lice car just ta' yank out the "C" clips that hold the axles in that I ain't gonna' use anyway, jest ta' swipe all the other rear brake stuff.

Lem'me see if'n I'm smart enough ta' upload .pdf's.....

View attachment RearDiscBrakeInstall_1.pdf

View attachment RearDiscBrakeInstall_2.pdf

View attachment RearDiscBrakeInstall_3.pdf

I'll be go ta' hell- it worked!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. Rochie

Rochie

I did this to an 8 in under my 29 roadster. The real trick is a spacer 3in OD an d a 1/4 in thick placed between the retainer plate and the axle bearing. Drill the axle flange holes a little bigger and bolt 'em on. You will have to play with hydraulic hoses, you will need 3, frame to housing, and one each from steel tube to caliper. I found that the right side short hose works on both sides as does the emergency brake cable(short one, left IIRC).
    Not a big deal at all and you can buy your complete system from a local wrecking yard. Look for the 96-02 crown vic or marquis.

[​IMG]