Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum brakes on a 50 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DouginIA, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DouginIA

DouginIA

I just bought a 50 Chevy 3100 and it's been a while since I had car or truck.I am wanting to up grade the brakes to Bendix style of brakes. Is there a place that I can buy the compete new Bendex drum brakes from backing plate to drum. I would like to buy them in a complete kit so I know I have everything when I get started and not need to go chasing down parts.
    Thanks

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

start looking for someone with a 51-54 pass. car that they are changing to a MustangII

3. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

If you go with the pass car brakes, get the wheels & tires too.

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

The only "complete kit" I know of would be a complete hub-to-hub straight axle off a '51 through '54 3100. This would be a straight bolt-on and would give you Bendix brakes in the front where they are needed. The rears aren't so easy since the later backing plates don't fit the earlier axle housings. I would leave the rears alone, most of your stopping power is in the front anyway.

You should be able to get a complete axle from some misguided..........,, er, I mean someone who just had to have an IFS under his truck.

If your axle is in good condition, new kingpins, etc. then you can adapt newer hardware to your original front axle. Here's a tech tip from Stovebolt.com that tells about it. Oh, there is a mistake in the article too, it's the bottom holes that need to be drilled out to 1/2".

Good luck.
    http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/adbrakes.htm

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a complete set from a 52 in the shed that I was going to put on my 37 p/u but went to disc and late model rear,probably would be expensive to ship so hit your local junkyards and craigslist as there should be plenty out in your area.

7. Kanter Auto Parts, but not cheap...

8. I had rebuilt the drum brakes on my 47 with rebonded shoes and i kept the drums. I got a spring kit from jim carter, i got wheel cylinders from auto zone. They have been working great ever since.
    Napa had the master cylinder rebuild kit and rear wheel cylinders.

Your going to spend more time rebuilding your bendix brakes you find after you find them than doing what i did. I am still running 6v 216 so a lot of stopping power is not required since i can barely get past the speed limit.

Good luck.

9. I have the complete loaded backing plates and drums from a 51-54 car that I would part with for $50 plus shipping from 73130 zip code. I still have the bearings with the hubs but they aren't new. I do have new brake hoses that I will throw in the deal. PM me if you are interested.

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

I've owned a few and driven many,I mean many nice 47-54 trucks.And I never noticed any meaningful difference in stopping power between Huck and later Bendix style brakes.In fact the Bendix are more likely to lock up during a panic stop.