Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum Brake question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtop, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Since my channelled T coupe sits quite low, the rear end is way above the bottom edge of the body, causing some interference with the E Brake cables and the body. I'm thinking about rotating the backing plates on my early 9" a few degrees by re-drilling the plates or the holes in the axle flange to allow the cables to come out of the backing plates a little lower in the front. Anyone see any problem with this?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Can you just route the parking brake lines through some tubing tied into something strong enough to hold it?

Pictures please.

3. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

With the axle moving up and down it's just going to compound the problem. I can make it work the way it is, just wondering if anyone could see a problem with rotating the backing plates a few degrees down in front. I would make things a lot tidier.

4. 117harv

117harv

When adapting juice brakes to a model A or any banjo rear with the spring on top the plates get rotated to make room for the brake line. Rotating them down to help with your E-brake cables shouldn't be a problem, drill 4 new holes and you are good to go.

5. kennkat

kennkat

anything that rotates the wheel cylinder away from the TRUE 12 O'clock position.... moving the bleeder screw away from the highest point will NOT allow full bleeding of the air from the wheel cylinders.

6. blackout

blackout

X2 on the above, the bleeder needs to be at the highest point, but I can appreciate your situation from personal experience.

7. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Attached photo shows how the backing plate is attached from the factory on my 58 Corvette. The bearing housing is welded onto the axle housing at an angle donward toward the front versus the regular level position of the backing plate attaching bolts. Bleeder is in the center of the wheel cylinder as normal and seems to bleed fine at this angle. However, more of an angle may present a bleeding problem. No problem with the way the emergency brake operates.

Attached Files: