Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum Brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtop, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Here's something to ponder: Since my coupe is channelled, the rear end is much higher then the bottom edge of the body. That puts the e-brake cables about 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the body and it's gonna be awkward running them down and around, then back up to the frame and leave room for the axle travel. I'm thinking about redrilling the mounting holes in the backing plates or the four holes in the flange on my 9" Ford rear to lower the e-brake mounting points by a few degrees. Anyone see any problem with this?

2. The cable has to pull at proper angle on the inside linkage. But the outer exit should not matter. The absolute best way would be to cut the axle ends and rotate them with new welds, but slotting the holes a bit should be fine. If you want to rotate it enough, you might just drill new holes right next to the orig ones. If you rotate it too much it might create problems bleeding all the air out of the wheel cyl, as the bleeder would not be at the high point in the center.

3. kennkat

kennkat

Do not do anything that rotates the wheel cylinder away from the TRUE 12 O'clock position.... moving the bleeder screw away from the highest point will NOT allow full bleeding of the air from the wheel cylinders.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would be better off running the cables into the body, along the floor, and back out to the frame vs redrilling/rotating the backing plates, IMO.