Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drove the wagon to work this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Lots of folks shopping for batteries this time of year! I betcha it's like clockwork at the autoparts jobbers. One day they have a rack full of batteries, then it drops to 0° degrees F and the mob descend like crows leaving just a few riding mower and motorcycle batts in their wake.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Even with insulated pipes in a home without a basement your pipes will freeze in single digits.
    Simple fix, especially when living in the south when temps don’t stay that low for long periods.
    Simply turn on a faucet to a fast drip.
    Not slow’ it will freeze going slow.
    Works every time.

3. Rolling with the punches would make a great country music song!:D

And your right,at least I have something else to drive.

Today the water in the back of Brenda's flower shop is once again froze up and I ask the landlord did the plumber not wrap the pipes in the small attic space and he said the plumber said he did.

I'm too big to squeeze in the 2 foot square hole in the ceiling but with a flashlight I can see there is no pipe wrap,so the plumber has so explaining to do to the boss man. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. Rick,we always do this at home and even do this at the business in the bathroom but Brenda being the last one to leave the shop last night turned off the water line to the back of the shop in the work area and forgot to bled the line so water was still in the plastic pipe.

I had the water flowing in about 10 minutes using a heat lamp on the exposed pipe coming out of the ceiling.HRP

Bruce Fischer and Petejoe like this.
  5. rjones35

rjones35

I remember back in the day, driving my OT 70 Camaro hotrod in the snow, ice, whatever, it didn't matter. No heat, scraping ice off the inside, holes in the trunk, so ice and snow in the trunk, tires with little to no traction, sitting low, leaky windshield. It wasn't a super nice car, but it was all I had. One day I fixed the windshield washer, that was the coolest thing ever. No more pulling over to grab snow to clean the windshield. Fun times, fun times. Stay warm out there.

6. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What the hell is "unpredictable" about Winter? I predict it will get hot and humid this summer, with a gradual cooling trend towards September and October, with likely snow accumulations by December and January, etc. At least around these parts.

What this country needs is a good old-fashioned Ice Age and some fresh glaciation. Sheesh.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  8. When Tallahassee,Florida & places like Savannah,Georgia & Charleston,South Carolina get snow & ice the weather is very unpredictable. HRP

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

our hills are still brown where I live. snow pack in the Sierras is 3% of what it should be.
    if you come to California, you have to bring your own water.

51504bat and rjones35 like this.
  10. Bob I know hu? LOL.

11. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Global warming -- don't worry in less than a year in office Trump has fixed that !!! Later Bill

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I was going to ask about a valve to drain off that pipe after cut off, but you answered before I asked! In my shop if it's gonna get below 20*F I leave a propane fueled heater on down low to keep things at about 40-45*. When I have need to be there in this weather, I fire up a diesel oil fueled heater, 70K BTU and in a little while it's comfortable. I have about 6-8" insulation in ceiling, but the walls are 8" cinder block, non insulated, as I bought the bldg. already existing. There are several air gaps around the roll up door that don't help, but WTH, some ventilation is needed with that diesel oil heater anyhow:) Most buildings down here aren't too well insulated if they have a little age on them and I think mine was built in late 40s. I put in sheetrock ceiling and attic insulation. Doubt that the city even had a building inspector or a code for him to use back then:rolleyes: One factor this time is the duration of this cold, usually just a day or two, but this has been all week with not a lot of warm up during the day.
    As for broken water mains, Atlanta has a very old water system, many old pipes need replacing, and these long periods of cold cause them to contract and try to pull apart or rupture. News on TV this am said Atlanta was having to sort of "triage" the breaks and fix the worst first and hope to get to the others as they could.:eek:
    When you said 70/30 on antifreeze mix, which was water, the 70 or the 30?

13. Dave,River Street is one of the main 4 lane arteries coming into Anderson from the smaller towns from the North east and all but one lane is out of commission due to a large water main under the road that eroded the road after it erupted,a lot of side street detours,there was a huge geyser for a couple of hours.

Very old infrastructure is catching up with us all. HRP

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Speedwrench---You asked about the ice fishing on Lake Shafer---Even though we now live here year round, I'm still not much of a fisherman (although I do help drown worms with my grandkids). Lake Shafer is frozen over for the first time in a long time. LOTS of snowmobile tracks on the lake and the Tippecanoe River--only seen one ice fishing shelter. TOO cold!! Bill

15. upspirate

upspirate

16. Deuces

Deuces

Poor little bastard...:(

17. [QUOTE="HOTROD a large water main under the road that eroded the road after it erupted,a lot of side street dentures

Your side streets have false teeth?:p

Ben