Register now to get rid of these ads!

(drought) lake lanier race track?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

2. They are letting so much water out of the damn the river was at flood stage Friday. My company had a coffer dam fail because the river was up so high.

I have heard the Corp won't slow down watger release until the lake reaches the 1034 level. It is at 1054 something right now. They are letting out approximately 1 foot of elevation a week.

An Engineer that works with the City of Cumming told me this. He is closely involved with the lake level because he has had to design alternate fresh water intake for the City raw water intake. The normal one is almost high and dry. They have set up tempory pumps to move the water up to the pump station.

So if it doesn't rain - another 20 feet in 20 weeks will expose a lot more.

3. chopped

chopped

I used to keep a boat up there, it's a hell of a situation. I'm down by Westpoint now, it's down about 14 ft. I'm on a shallow well here, we wonder every day if the water will come on.

4. Thumper

Thumper

Yeah I used to roll by that one on my way to race at Lanier. Another old timer told me what it was (used to be).

5. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn I wish I had seen this earlier we were looking for something to do yesterday.

6. how's the boat Josh?

7. Thumper

Thumper

I was up at Van Pugh park yesterday on the south end and the boat ramp was high and dry...nearest water was about 100 yards away. I walked across where normally there would be like 15-20 feet of water and it was dry as a bone. It's gettin kinda scary at the possibilites of no rain...and the dipwads letting what we got out.

8. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Yeah, I remember when they drained the lake at Fort Yargo 'cause the doodoo got in it or somethin'....we skipped school and walked across it, but no dirt track there. sorry, maybe a little off topic.

9. k9racer

k9racer

OK I just got off the phone with Georgia Race historial Mike Bell who also is the founder of the Ga auto racing hall of fame assoc.. So he is the scoop on the speedway.. ......................................................................Correct name is Gainsville speedway.. Built by Max Looper.. 1/2 mile in length and the grandstands hold 5000 people............ Opened 1947......... The First race was won by Gober Sosebee then of Atlanta and later Dawsonville. The track closed in 1956 because of the lake.. The front straight had a 10 ft bank to the track surface. So the water will have to drop a lot to see the track.......... Mike said no cars were left as a new track was constructed to take the place of Mr Loopers Gainsville Speedway................................................................................... In 1957 Hall County race track was built for a place to race .. It was 1/4 mile. Located on the back side of Road Atlanta. it close i 1970 or 71 after the state of ga made everyone have a one million dollar insurance policy.. ....This was because of a drag strip wreck at speed plant known as Yellow River involving {Huston Platt not his brother Hubert}. Several people were killed and over 20 injured. This should clear up the confusion on the name of Looper or Gainsville... On a last note a lot of people were taking photos of the track sunday. The GAHOF rep took quite a few...... Bobby.. I am also a member of gahof..........

10. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Yeah I remember that.... Only thing I founded were fish, and lost hooks nd sinkers.

11. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Well thank you for the information. Its pretty damn cool.

Dang Pauly we seriously just missed yall Sunday.

12. baldspot

baldspot
    from auburn

yo, i came across your thread in search of info on the history of the race track. i also found a short video the army corp of engineers made on the history of the lake....not to bad. At about 3:02 there is a pic of the race track. here is the link.

http://lanier.sam.usace.army.mil/multimedia.htm

13. Its on the trailer up on the shore :D - got any lakes up there? maybe we'll bring it up next summer.

14. hell yah, great lake cool lake house.....