Register now to get rid of these ads!

dropping the caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddyman65, Jul 26, 2003.

1. caddyman65

caddyman65

O.k. I want to lower my caddy but not sure whats best.Theres a guy here who can do airbags but wants $3,500 to do it, or cut coils or new eaton dropped coil springs? No one makes dropped spindles that I know of..this is a daily driver so it has to handle the shitty roads here..any suggestions ? <font color="blue"> </font>

2. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    ..any suggestions ? <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea.......you better give an introduction (tell a little about yourself, your ride, background, nekid photos of your girlfriend.. [​IMG])...before some of the gang jumps your butt!

Good luck with the Caddy......

3. Who are you? What is your quest? What is your favorite color, What is the air speed velocity of a swallow? Answer me these questions three and I'll tell you how I lowered my Cadillac.... oh yeah and welcome to the HAMB......

4. caddyman65

caddyman65

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ..any suggestions ? <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea.......you better give an introduction (tell a little about yourself, your ride, background, nekid photos of your girlfriend.. [​IMG])...before some of the gang jumps your butt!

Good luck with the Caddy......

[/ QUOTE ]O.k O.K. names Errol,live in N.C.married ,10 month old daughter Elsa, own Blue Flame Tattoo (you should all know where thatname comes from) the car is a mild custom 65 deville conv. wife has the 61 comet ,have also owned a 64 t-bird,65 t-bird,61 olds ,64 rivi and a 55 desoto and am a member Vendettas car club .Hope that will keep my ass from being beaten

5. Welcome, I had a 65 DeVille Convert too, cool car. I never lowered my 65 but I have a 64 which I dropped with lowered heavy duty springs from Eaton. Worked great, I ordered a three inch dropped spring for all four corners and then had another coil and a quarter cut out of the front and 1 coil in the rear. It does not matter how much you lower it cause its gonna scrape no matter what, espically the long rear body overhang. I think I paid around $300 for all four springs.

6. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I guess that will do but get some pictures on here soon or ELSE! [​IMG]
    Ok Here it goes. My buddy has a 65 caddy. We cut 2 1/2 coils out of the front and 3 out of the rear. The car sits low and It handles about a million times better. It takes all the floating sensation out of the car and really tightens things up without making a rough ride. You can thank Caddilac for putting springs in that are like 20 feet tall. Also he put a set of KYB shocks in the car and that helped a ton also. I think the shocks he used are from a chevy LUV pickup. Cause I dont think KYB makes anything for your application. My brother has a 64 Cad and we are doing the same thing to it also. We swapped disc brakes onto both cars so that will be a different story. You wont be dissapointed with the cut springs and you cant beat the price. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Slamit, did your buddy's caddy sag in the back when it was at stock height? I was under the impression that the front of mine may need more coils chopped out, cause its higher....

Also, whats the year range on the Chev Luv shocks?

Thanks,
    J

8. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Also, what size tires is he runnin? wheel width? Will the stockers fit under there when slammed?

Thanks,
    J

9. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

hee hee

[ QUOTE ]
    Who are you? What is your quest? What is your favorite color, What is the air speed velocity of a swallow? Answer me these questions three and I'll tell you how I lowered my Cadillac.... oh yeah and welcome to the HAMB......

[/ QUOTE ]

10. caddyman65

caddyman65

Just want to say thanx for all the advice, will post pics when we get a scanner.also wondering if anyone has seen ANY aftermarket stuff for the 429 ,,thanx again, errol

11. Hey SLAMIT we talked in Santa Cruz before, your down south now? Man that car does sit low and is super bitchen with the swap meet Radirs on it. I want to know more about the disc conversion.

Caddyman: As far as speed stuff for the 429 you need to get intakes for the earlier motors and have them machined to fit the 429 as the valley between the heads is narrower than the early motors but the port spacing (both intake and exhaust is the same). Lots of stuff made for the 331, 365, 390 that can be made to fit a 429.

12. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Good stuff, I thank you as well...

and..
    The velocity of the swallow is equivalent to the root-mean square of the thust vector multiplied by the third integral elliptic, devided by its UNLADEN WEIGHT... which is what we can't figure out... baffling scientists for years...

13. plan9

plan9

i found a site that fabs hi-po cadillac parts for late model blocks...ill dig for the link and post it here

heres the site

http://www.cad500parts.com/

14. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

You guys are goofy buyin new springs!!! Get out the torch and heat them coils up...she'll come right down....we dropped my '59 Coupe deville thisa way...put about 130,000 miles on it since then, and the sucker still rides great....it bottoms out every once and a while, but that's just my lake pipes hittin!

15. lurch13

lurch13

bag it its worth the money and for the ride

Attached Files:

16. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Its been said before, but I'll say it again....

TORCHING YOUR SPRINGS IS HELLA DUMB!

[​IMG]

Especially when dealing with the weight/braking loads of these monsters.

The Battlestar Cadillactica WILL NOT be traveling to the DISASTAR system...

I plan on cutting them with a disk and using some sort of coolant system. Or, cut, quench, repeat... When I grind tool bits for my lathe, I use the latter system on shitty cobalt steel, and they never seem to get overheated, eg, no blue rainbow shit.

Some people, however, will not be convinced. Yes, it can be done properly, but it'll probably involve some unintentional fire damage...

"Its your dick, and its your soap, you do whatever the hell you want, its a free country. Just don't get upset when someone calls you a JAGGOV!"
    -author unknown

yo, later, pimp mudfuggaz,
    -J

17. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Ok, diggin this up from two months ago...

After I get it (66 cdv) over to the muffler shop, (dual straight 2" that end at the axle... Xtra ground clearance, and I'm broke, thats why...) I'm gonna cut the springs per Slamit's recipe.

Now, will my (sorta)stock tires rub? theyre 235 75's. Will the stock shocks tolerate "slammed duty" for a while, or will they be bottomed out when the car is parked? I know they'll get kilt after a while, but thats an acceptable tradgedy.

And yeah, whats the year and model range on those s10 shox? Gaz-adjust, (white) or gr2? (silver/grey?)

Tanks...