Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dropping the buick

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 51_special, Jan 31, 2014.

1. 51_special

51_special

All right fellas, I am finally getting around to start the process of lowering my 51 Buick special. I decided for now I am just going to cut my coils. the question have is there anything I need to be careful of? It is retaining the original inline 8, 3 speed trans and closed drive line. Any tips or suggestions welcomed! I have my cutoff wheel ready to go and will have my spring compressor as well.Thanks as always to all of you.

2. Cabrillos

Cabrillos
    from Irvine, Ca

I recently cut 1.5 coils out of the springs in my 54 chevy and was pretty happy with the end result. not too sure how much it dropped cuz I forgot to measure how high up it was before I started. just don't cut too much. I'd suggest cutting 1.5 out and if it's not low enough you can always cut more out later

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I believe they are like my pontiac with uprights and king pins. If so you can get a dropped upright from Gambino on the hamb and get 2 1/2" without cutting the coils but the steering arms will have to be bent to avoid bump steer. Chevy's are totally different.

4. luke13

luke13

why waste time cutting springs, i regreted it once i did it, makes your car not handle as well. lowering springs are cheap and way safer. cut springs are for hacks that dont know what there doin , dont be a hack.

5. BRENT

BRENT

seriously? I can see calling someone a hack for using a torch to heat and lower springs but actually cutting a coil to get a bit lower is a old as this hobby. I really don't see what is so hack about that. I understand what your saying about buying lowering springs but come on man, nothing wrong with loping off a coil. Its when you whack 2 or 3 rings off then you run into problems, but most reasonable "non hack" builders can usually tell when they crossed that line. Again nothing hack about cutting a coil!

Brent

6. 51_special

51_special

Is there a difference between front and rears? Like pigtailed or not. If so can I still cut them or what else can be done besides lowering springs and dropped uprights which from Gambino run 400 bucks which is out of my range for awhile. And a hack is someone who knows absolutely nothing about what it is they are doing. Thanks again everyone!

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

So are you sayin you cut yours too short and had to buy new lowering springs:D......Kind of sounds like "lowering springs" are for hacks that dont know what they are doing:eek:...sorry,couldnt resist:D

8. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

x2!!!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been cutting coil springs to lower cars, for over 30-years. I was taught how to cut coil springs to lower cars by a man who had been cutting coils to lower cars for almost as long as cars had coils to cut.

Done properly, it yields excellent results. Results so excellent that people like to pay me to cut their coils for them.

That said, if you can get, and can afford a dropped upright, or a dropped spindle (whichever is appropriate), that is the proper way to go, before considering cutting.

As has been mentioned, look up Alex Gambino, at Gambino Kustoms, here on the board. See if he has dropped uprights for this car, and what they run.

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Do it! You won't regret it. I cut 1 coil on the front of mine and it rides better than stock. The rears are pig tailed top and bottom though, so you can't really cut them.

11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Oh and I remember reading somewhere on here that springs from like an elcamino or something are pigtailed and will drop the rear around 3 inches? Hopefully someone knows the specifics.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1967-1972 GM A body (includes the El Camino) have rear coils that are indeed pigtailed at both ends.

Whether or not they fit, as suggested, I don't know, but it is certainly worth looking into.

13. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Cut my coils on my '53 Special and it worked awesome! The bottoms of the uprights come apart fast and easy so you'll enjoy that. When doing the rear keep in mind the torque tube can and will hit the floor pan if you go too low! Eventually I just bagged it-but I know you'll like the way it handles if you simply cut the coils.
    Btw, same suspension on '52 and'53:)

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

16. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

He's right-I forgot about the pigtails. I heated my rears and worked fine!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Naw, I was just raised to help where I am able, and to get the hell out of the way, when I can't.:D

19. 51_special

51_special

thanks for all of the great information all of you. I will keep you all posted and try to take some pics as I go and get them posted. it will be a couple weeks more than likely but I am super excited to get this going in the right direction...........low down.

20. I had a 54 ford with 1 coil cut out of the front springs. Dropped it about 3 inches and still rode really nice. The best advice I've gotten from the hamb is to cut a little at a time. Half coil or one coil to start. You'd be surprised how much just one coil will drop it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Gotzy

Gotzy

I used Type 4 vw van springs in the rear of my '53 buick, can't recall how much the drop was but worth comparing height and specs to the el Camino ones to see which suits your needs the best. Get on a vw site and find someone lowering their van and pick up some very cheap or free springs. Worked for me.

Busted Knuckles likes this.
  22. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Seriously! you should not be allowed to type. You obviously have no clue!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and put the money down on good shocks. They make a world of difference. As a rule, I use KYB Gas-a-Just for sporty or heavier vehicles, and KYB Excel-G for lighter vehicles, or a little softer ride on a heavier vehicle. Easier on the wallet than Bilstiens, which are the top-notch, if you can swing them.

24. 51_special

51_special

so with the el camino springs am I correct in assuming it would be the ones for a v8 and not the 6 due to weight?

BetsyVanDeVille likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, if the rear springs are indeed different, 6 to 8. Better a touch too stiff, than too soft.

26. 51_special

51_special

Napa has 3 different ones listed. free height on them are 12.93 with load hieght of 8.2 and spring rate of 167, 14.4 load height 9 and spring rate 141, and 15.3 load height 10 with spring rate of 158. which of these have you guys used? I know I could just shoot from the hip but i would rather work off the knowledge you guys on the HAMB have. Of coarse I want her st nice and low but do not want the torque tube to hit my tunnel.

27. 51_special

51_special

Gimpy, as for shocks i still have the knee action. Do you or any of the others see a problem with me staying with these?

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good question, since these cannot be trimmed for final height. I am off the edge of my experience here. I hope someone will weigh-in. If it were me, I'd pick the middle one, and install some nice soft bump stops, if it hits on big bumps.

29. 51_special

51_special

That what I was thinking. Plus if I have to at that point I a could always pull them out and take them back for one of the others since they are fairly close to me.Thanks for all of the advice and input.

30. 51_special

51_special

just out of pure curiosity. How were the cars dropped originally when new or relatively new? did they just try springs from other vehicles or did the heat them. not that I will be heating them but just interesting to find out more of the way things were done then.