Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dropping steering arms for kingpin suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

My 54 Pontiac has the stock kingpin suspension, lowered about 3" in the front by cutting coils. Tie rods hit the frame a little on large bumps. I know Fatman recommends having these steering arms heated and dropped if you install their dropped uprights.

How much should I have these dropped? One inch, two inches? I got my hands on a second pair of steering arms, which I am going to have modified, so I can swap them into the car. Your thoughts, please.

s-l1600.jpg

2. Put them on the car and heat and bend them as much as they need to be bent to not bang into the frame.

If I had to come up with a number I would suggest the same amount as the drop but that is probably more then is necessary, better to heat and bend them on the car.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Simple answer..Drop the arms as much as car is lowered to get steering geometry to at least as bad [or good] as original geometry..The arms will shorten some so steering will quicken some but that can open another can of worms geometry-wise..I'm sure some one that has done it will chime in..

4. Good old Fatman stuff, close is good enough. Proper method is to drop "AND" lengthen the stock arm to keep the relation to the lower A frame exact as stock. Anything less has some kind of trade off. Hmmm, now what?
    The Wizzard

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you lengthen those arms, be sure to have them professionally 'spliced', and welded...then heat treated.
    Welding steering linkage is generally discouraged, while being 'geometrically recommended'.
    One of hot rodding's 'oxymorons'...

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

These will be heated & dropped by an experienced buider. I'm not going to risk messing these up at home.