Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dropping a 302 in the Customline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rayj53, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Well it all started about 4 years ago in Louisville when me and a buddy was looking at a 50 ford truck that had just had a 302 from a 1985 Lincoln dropped in it. My buddy said " that's what you need in your 53! Well I chuckled and said maybe one day. Not thinking that day would come so soon. the following Sunday I walked into church and that same buddy said I found a 302 for you. So we went and talked to a guy I'd never met before and to tell the truth, I can't remember his name or even his face now but he said believe it or not- that he had a 302 and an AOD from an 85 Lincoln that came out of a town car that had flipped over in his front yard -(long story). I asked what he wanted for it and he said free. So I went and picked it up, thinking I would just drop it in cause it was running when he pulled it from the car. Well you know how it goes one thing led to another and that free engine has cost me about $2000.00 so far but it's been fun for me and my twin boys so that's worth every cent.
    Here's some photos of the project.

The last day it had a 239 in it.
    [​IMG]

A perfectly good 239. Oh well...
    [​IMG]

The Boys taking it loose.
    [​IMG]

Here it comes...
    [​IMG]

Just 14 and already hooked on traditional Rods...
    [​IMG]

Its clear!!!
    [​IMG]

There it sits... Oh what have I done!!!
    [​IMG]

More to come later...

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I love flatheads but always end up with a small block too. More power!

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah this is gonna get some panties in a wad!

4. Keep us posted with the progress. I have a complete 302 setup sitting in my garage, so
    this one has my attention. Nice looking ride by the way.

5. I know, I've had second thoughts a number of times cause the flathead runs like a top. But I plan to drop it in a T bucket maybe.

6. RAY With

RAY With

Keep the flatty and go on with the 302 change over. Its close to a drop in and an easy install. I am not to sure on the AOD but there a good transmission and be sure to read up on the AOD cable adjustment so you dont fry the transmission when you drive it out of your shop.

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I pulled a flatty and put in a 302 in my 40. never regretted it. Still have the 48 merc engine

8. I will, Thanks
    Check out my profile for the story on this car, It's pretty cool I must say...

9. parklane

parklane

Look at the 1952-56 Ford car group on this site. Go to the community tab near the top of the homepage. Lots of good info & good group. BTW car looks real good.

10. I got this 8 inch that came out of a 65 Mustang from a buddy who had it sitting on the ground for about 10 years. To say the least, it was rusty. After 3 nights of wire wheeling it and rust still coming off I thought of sand blasting it but then I had an idea that came to me while messing around with a hydrogen generator that I made a year or so earlier. I called it reverse electrolysis. I thought I had come up with something revolutionary but as it turns out, it's old news here on the HAMB. There must be 50 threads about it but it works great even if someone thought of it first.

Here it is soaking.
    [​IMG]

<O:p>Here it is after about 6 hrs. Clean as the day it was made.</O:p
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p>See the water line... I'm telling you, this is the way to go.</O:p>
    <O:p>I flipped it and soaked the other end then painted it. Then my buddy Keith Gnegy rebuilt it with 3.73 gears. Then me and the boys put all new brake hardware on it.</O:p>
    <O:p>More to come.
    </O:p>

11. Looking good....I'm running a 302/AOD in my 54 tudor

12. Thanks,
    I belong to that group. Your right those guys know there cars. I've received a lot of good advice from them.

13. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I think you inspired me. I am trying to seal the deal on a 53 customline I came across yesterday.

14. I like what you did with the rearend. Y not go with a Y-Block? I had an '87 302 and man that was the biggest P.O.S. motor I ever had. You constantly had to either change the distributer or the ICM. The TPS also gave me some problems as well. That was a turd of a motor. My Y-Block on the other hand is way more reliable than the SBC's I have had and it's still a little quicker than a Flathead. Just my 2 cents. You still have a bitchin car regardless and your boys are going to learn a lot by the time you are done!

15. The rear end almost fit right in. It was an inch longer but we still have plenty of room. The only modification we made was on the shock brackets. The spring pads on the rear end were about an inch wider. Rather than cut on that, I just turned the shock brackets 90&#8217; and swapped side then drilled a couple of new holes in them for the U bolts. It worked like a champ. We put all new bushing, shocks and brake lines while we were at it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More to come....

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

looks like a good time..these will be great memories for your boys..

17. Fun.....this is one of the things I was thinking about doing on the 55.

18. Haha...
    It&#8217;s a Craftsmen halogen droplight. It&#8217;s real bright and somewhat drop resistant. You can focus it on the work and not be blinded. Plus its magnetic.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  19. Well, it's been awhile but We've made a lot of progress. I tried to highlight the important stuff so maybe it will help someone out.
    Here is the 302 stripped and bored 30 over. It's good shape so nothing else needed to be done to it.
    [​IMG]

20. Here are the heads. I had them reworked but they were in good shape as well.
    [​IMG]

21. We got it all together. Put a nice little cam in it. Then We found a 4 brl intake off of a mustang then put a 650cfm Edelbrock on it. We also put V-belt pulleys on it for an old school look.
    [​IMG]

22. We had the AOD rebuilt and put a Lokar TV cable on it. It should fit fine.
    [​IMG]

23. We put it all together. Now it's time for dry fitting.
    [​IMG]

More to come...

24. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Looks cool. I was doing something similar in my '50, but decided rather than spend the $$$$ to rebuild the AOD, I got a very low-mileage 4R70W and controller so I don't have to worry about the TV and I can control shift points. Though it's gonna take quite a bit more fab work to fit.

Just curious why you pulled the flathead 1-1/2 years ago, apparently long before the 302 was ready? Seems like you could have been driving the car all this time.

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This is our Group 1952-59 Fords http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=332 Always glad to have new members to join in the fun ;)

26. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Did you get it in?
    Great thread, I love the photos.

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

I'm interested to see if that pan clears. I have a 52 and I found this guy a few years ago that did a 53. He had to operate on the crossmember but he used a front sump pan. I have a Bronco rear sump and am wondering if it will clear or if I am going to have to go with a Crown Vic pan. Let us know what happens.

The guy that dropped a 351 (same bottom end) into his 53

http://53cuzzy.blogspot.com/

28. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Lookin' gooooooooooood!! Eager to see it all together!! Good thing your boys like it too!!

29. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

What a reunion, that very rarely happens!! The first car I remember was dad's '54, light green, I actually have quite a few memories of that car!! Glad to see it's a happy story!! Mike.

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Make sure you get the improved valve cover gaskets,there is the basic flat gasket,then one with a raised lip. I have a 90 towncar and valve cover gaskets are a sore subject