Register now to get rid of these ads!

Droppin' the tank...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Oct 16, 2003.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

OK i need to drop out the gas tank on the poncho to see if i can figure out what's wrong with my gas gauge readin' full all the time. Now do i need to unhook the fuel line and get all the gas out before i drop it? it's gonna suck if i do cos that big ass tank is just about full. Also what do i need to try to tell if it's the sender or the gauge that's screwed up?

2. trey

trey

it depends on how full it is. if its pretty full, id drain it. that stuff gets heavy, especially if you are doing it yourself. also makes it easier to move around and check things, ya know? i usually have an assistant watch my gague as i go half 1/4 and 3/4 to see what the ol fuel-o-meter says.

trey

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

well i usually using a jack rigged with some 2x4's to lower it and lift it back up into place, I'm not worried about the weight I just don't wanna screw up my fuel line. Is there any way to test the gauge by just putting some juice to it or something?

4. See if there's an access hole in the trunk where you can get to the sender first. Might save you the trouble of dropping the tank.

If you do drop it, I would have it hot tanked and cleaned, since it's out.
    TZ

5. siphon it out.but dont use your mouth like my dad.make sure it doesnt have an access plate in the trunk before you go pulling it!

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Before you pull the tank check and see if it isn't just a ground problem. I believe a gas gauge will go to full reading if the ground is bad. Someone may be able to verify this.

Frank

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

Run a temp ground from the tank to the frame. If this doesn't solve it and you can access the sending unit, put a temp ground on the sending unit. If that doesn't solve it, your on your own [​IMG]

8. See if you can get hold of an old sender unit to test the gauge first, your old sender could be ok.