Register now to get rid of these ads!

dropped axle,batwing problem??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE-3137, Sep 4, 2003.

1. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Just got my superbell I beam axle in and batwings/hairpins. The batwings seem to be too tight to go over the perch on the axle. Is this because of the chrome on the axle and batwings? Looks like I could maybe force them on with a rubber mallet, but I dont want to screw up the chrome only to find I have the wrong part. Is it normal for the batwings to be really tight?

2. There are two different axle perch boss heights, 2" and 2"1/4". Pounding 2" batwings over a 2 1/4" axle is not an option. Most all of the super bell axles I have seen are of the 2" variety, meaning for 1932 and up.

Did you purchase all of this from the same place? Is this all new?

If you are only talking about a few thousandths of an inch difference you can carefully grind down the chrome to make the parts fit better.

3. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Yea, all new stuff, Pete and jakes batwings, superbell axle, definitely not 1/4 inch off but probably .020 or so . I expected them to slip right on and be fairly snug. If they werent plated I wouldnt worry about it.

4. File to fit...you want 'em snug. I'd prolly file the batwings.

Register now to get rid of these ads!