Register now to get rid of these ads!

driving your hot rod to work in the morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Sep 5, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Damn Dave! The luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Been driving mine almost daily since I bought it in June. I get lots of looks with it. Bad part is work is only 2 miles away but I love every minute.

3. Pic this time.

Attached Files:

4. Dyce

Dyce

Drove my 40 chevy to work this week and one of my co-workers ran into it with a truck. Wasn't to bad. Just scrubbed the front fender with the rear tire of the truck and ran over the front bumper. Didn't hurt the paint so I think I can get the dent out without paint. Still sucks though. Still plan on driving it to work, just have to be more carefull where I park.

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Having the 47 caddy at work is always interesting. Today on lunch saw one guy pull up to the car, get out, and run his hand on the roof. Maybe he didnt think the car was really there?
    Yesterday on lunch I saw a Japenese guy circling the car and taking pictures every few feet like he was taking a photo shoot. Probably had never seen anything like it.
    Who knows what is going on when I am inside working. One week I had a guy I know start complimenting me on the engine. Yep he put the hood up without me there! Major NONO, that there is like touching your woman and we had a talk. I dont think that has ever happened before but who knows what people will do with "just an old car".

6. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

My exact thought. Everything else sounds good though.

7. belair

belair

Roll down the window, crank the vent around, press the accelerator pedal once, hit the ignition and the 235 lights off in one spin. The air is cool and thick and the duals sound so good going through second gear that I almost don't want to go to third. But I do, and the car finds its sweet spot, where sound, motion and mechanicals are all in harmony. Yeah, I love driving my hot rod to work.

8. Work? what the hell is Work? and where do you find such a thing, if you were so inclined to. Sure am glad I retired a long time ago and can just go out and hop in the ol ICT and go for a ride when I want to. Now if I can only find a drag strip open on weekdays...............

9. Put around 50 miles on the '40 stake today, when I was supposed to be working. Wife's sick, so I had to pitch in with getting my 15yr old daughter to school and to a few places afterwards. Even volunteered to shuttle a friend across town to pick up her daughter's F150 (formerly my '97) from the shop that was doing some work on it.

Probably the most humbling thing, that happened along the way, was when I came out of the grocery store. There was a group of about a half a dozen folks looking over the truck. As I started to talk with them, I realized that they were hearing impaired, and couldn't hear a word I said. I fumbled through an attempt to communicate and answered a few basic questions that I was able to understand, but really wished that I knew some sign language.

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a nice, easy 11 mi. commute to work. I drive my '36 pretty regularly through the summer but I don't get that excited about it. I built it to use and drive and that's what I do with it. Just as I turn into the drive of our shop, there is a plate glass window in the neighboring business that I can't help looking at when I pull in, though. We've got a customer that just got out of dirt racing and keeps bugging me about selling my truck but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Blue

11. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I used to drive my built 66 chrysler newport to work and back every day...lumpy cam, huge carb, headers, and dumps...shiny blue paint and chrome 5 slots with spinner caps. It was such a pleasure turning the key on, hearing the fuel pump energize, a blip of throttle as I turned the key and she fired right up. I parked kinda close to the street in our parking lot. People would stop to look at her, take pictures, ask me if she was for sale. It was pure heaven...even though it only got 6-7 miles per gallon. As for the post about someone opening your hood without you knowing it...definite no no! Never happened to me, but I did have a few customers who thought it was okay to lean against the car and smoke a cigarette...they were my customers so I couldnt exactly yell at them but I very stearnly told them not to lean on my car. To some its a bad ass hot rod, to others its just another old car...
    I loved driving my hot rod to work!

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll drive my '58 into work, but not my '57. It's like a demolition derby on the Pulaski Skyway and in Jersey City, so I keep the candy paint away from that if I can. The '58 is a great beater though.

Here it is across the street from my office, in front of the Brennan Courthouse (built in 1910). Seriously one of the most beautiful buildings in the state that thankfully was restored.
    [​IMG]

13. I know that when I drove my daily driver '31 DB coupe to work (when I was employed), I had the largest smile on the road for miles.

Attached Files:

14. tolo2go

tolo2go

I would enjoy that drive home a little more than mine. Great picture.

15. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I used to drive my 55 pickup to work regularly. Changed careers, which meant my 2 mile commute increased to a 38 mile one way commute daily. Used it to haul trash to the dump, haul firewood, everything a truck is supposed to do. She's undergoing a frame off resto right now, so I'll drive her to work occassionally again soon. But, no more hauling firewood or trash!

16. My hot rods are my daily drivers... So I guess I am lucky that I get to drive them everyday! I guess thats why I am smiling everywhere I go! :)

17. I was in the 50 mph 3- lane late last nite with all the other duckin' & weavin' jap shitboxes in very torrential rain. I couldn't help but wonder how it's gonna be doin' that in my oldie with yellow headlights, vacuum wipers & single blue dot..

18. 57JoeFoMoPar, I'd love to see this fine '58 on the street..

19. JLB3

JLB3

This thread is great inspiration. I started my 37 pickup build last February. Can't hardly wait til it is ready for my morning commute.

20. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Very nice writing, THANKS Chris

21. squeaky32

squeaky32

The commute is the best part of the day for me

Attached Files:

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Again, I never have considered owning a late model ANYTHING, and never will! Right now the Bucket of Ugly is the only driver in the fleet, so guess what took me to my off sight job today?

P.S. No comments about how my weld bottle is being transported. Yes, I know it isn't completely Kosher, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Attached Files:

23. I'm with you 100%. I love firing up the '51 Hudson and waiting for it to pick up all 6 cylinders and then go back in the house have breakfast/coffee waiting for the idle to smooth out. I know by then the heat is starting to get warm. I only have a 2.1 mile drive to work but that's always a good 2.1 mile start to the day.

24. Wow, I couldn't have said that any better, I sold my daily driver (40 ford pickup) mid summer, cause someone made me an offer I could not turn down. I really miss it, still drive my 34 ford pickup a couple times a month, but really miss that daily drive, it almost made having a job fun! I should have another daily driver done in a 3-4 weeks.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Guys,
    All I gotta say is wow, thanks for all the great comments and stories! I'm glad this thread took off and I hope it grows bigger! There is nothing like that drive in the morning...or anytime for that matter .
    That's what makes all the work and the headaches worth it

26. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I work in a city full of idiots and people from countries that have no traffic laws, from what I can tell. (Orlando, FL). Still, once I get out of the city its a nice drive home, so I do take the Bel Air on some occasions. The world definitely looks like a better place through the windshield of an old car.

27. EarlKann

EarlKann

Not an every day thing yet, but I did drive my D100 to work for the first time last week. I get there earlier than the guy who drives his F100 every day (it's his only vehicle) so I stole his regular parking spot.

Attached Files:

28. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

like 530 am on the highway for 13 miles

Attached Files:

29. I live at work, but used to drive my '56 Chevy wagon to school everyday. About a 25 miles round trip. Loved it, never a care while driving that thing. Passed an old timer around the same spot everyday and he'd always give me the " car guy wave and nod".
    He drove a cherry '71 Chevy SW.

30. 1963phil

1963phil

Drove my 63 Chevy truck to school daily. Loved every second of it. Now I drive a O/T 70 ford truck, but the 63 will be back on the road soon as I finish college