Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving with a target on your back in old iron

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Nov 7, 2020.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Taking a local cruise in the roadster yesterday and thought it was my last ride! Got cut off by a woman making a left hand turn from the right lane at speed. Problem at hand was that I was in the left passing lane. Thankfully there was a turning lane to my left so I could avert a serious day in the E.R. or worse. Very few drivers of 1930 roadsters survive collisions with full size suv's. Gives you a fondness or your own mortality!

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Been driving my cars more than ever and not much traffic until July when the tourists hit town. A couple of close calls, but I won’t quit driving until the weather hits. Yesterday at the neighborhood grocery store.
    6E25ECC7-346F-4CB8-A3FE-452E24458D2D.jpeg

3. jimmy six

jimmy six

hrrhp .... I agree I like driving my 56 and do it at least 2 days a week. It’s hard to drive everyone else’s too especially with all the distractions. I had a few close ones and I really am defensive with my driving. Living in South Little Saigon doesn’t help a bit...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    alanp561, Mark Hinds, J_J2 and 6 others like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

I try to drive all of my cars with extreme caution as my experience has been through the years, IMO people drive terrible, getting worse every year, everyone playing on their phone, big part of problem. When I get around a big show, generally in a big city the traffic is out of control, I don't think the city police or sheriffs have time for traffic control anymore, It's Scary. But like many here I've become a senior citizen, by choice I've lived in the suburbs/country for 50 years, not used to the heavy traffic and stupidity of today's drivers, made me get off my motorcycle 10+ years ago. I do not dwell on the fact my old cars are not as safe as our late model stuff, but will say my OT hobby cars are being driven more and my last HAMB car is for sale, doubtful I will replace it. The racing/car hobby has served me well, no regrets. I hear my Dad talking/bitching about how people drive, I've become like him, in fact I see him every day in the mirror when I shave. Where did the time go and it's going faster every day.

5. Those reasons contributed to the fire truck lime green color I painted my car. I live in a small college town with a lot of the year round population retirement age, and college student age for 6 months of the year. Although texting is illegal here, cell phone usage is not. Lots of distractions. I gave up my motorcycle 10 years ago, and try to pick my driving times.

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I know how all of you feel. @76yo I pick my driving times but still enjoy all the thumbs up and smiles from everyone especially children..........

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

On my '47 Truck I added extra brake lights to the bed up high. I dont like them, and frankly didn't want to add them but people are idiots and cell phones dont help. It was a concession to hopefully avoid a fender bender. <sigh>

pitman, dirty old man and wicarnut like this.
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I really would like to build a special car just for bad drivers to bounce off of. :D

9. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

My Wife and I just talked about this yesterday. We wondered if there are driver training schools anymore. If there are, they should be held responsible for the terrible driving habits of people.

Boones, wicarnut and dirty old man like this.
  10. mnjeff

mnjeff

Retired from motorcycling a few years ago....Not just because of rude and distracted drivers, but because my skills have diminished as well, and bouncing off of the pavement now guarantees bad news.....Not a whole lot more protection in my old pickups, but I will take that chance..

pitman, wackdaddy, j3harleys and 2 others like this.
  11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I was just thinking about writing an article about this. People's driving has gotten so bad it's ridiculous. I don't ride motorcycles on the street anymore but I do treat every drive in an old car the same way. We have to be extra cautious and defensive to avoid being run over.

12. I hear you!
    17.JPG

13. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Avoca WI

Not too much traffic where I live, but the deer make up for it.
    I spun a doe off my DD trucks brush guard a few weeks back, and had a 12 point buck standing in the road facing away from me Friday night after my fish fry. He just stood there looking up the road.

14. railcarmover

railcarmover

Set a goal for my build,use model a components and modify them to compete with today's idiots..doubled the power of the stock engine,mitchell od,woven shoes cast drums with teds floater,12v with modern LED's,16"wheels with modern radials..they tailgate me off the line,but by splitting 2nd gear I can work that kia rio..

15. I went to a local Town meeting to Talk about Driver's talking on
    there Cell Phones while Driving., they wanted & Passed a law
    that they would give a Big Fine.
    They Passed the Law and at the End of the Meeting everybody
    went to parking lot & started Talking on there Cell, while
    Driving out of the Meeting!
    and to this Day (2 year's ) later they still are Talking on there Cell Phones.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

We got the same problem with deer in my area. And once you see one dart across the road chances are there are at least two or three following. People tried to convince the town to have a cull years ago but they said it wasn't that big of a problem. That was until I heard a town patrol car slammed into one. I guess nowadays there is a lot more distractions for people on the road these days. Cell phones being number one in my book.

wicarnut, 67drake and dirty old man like this.
  17. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I hate cell phones but I have one in case of emergency. Its NEVER on unless I need pull over and turn it on ! The world was a better place without cell phones !!!!!!

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a lot of driving in an OT pickup that is a bit higher up, allows me to see inside other vehicles more than usual, and I agree that improper and illegal use of cell phones to talk and text is rampant, even though both are illegal here in GA, except for hands free devices.
    Add in all the other distractions available in daily life, both physical and mental, and stir that into a pot of dense traffic driving at speeds well above the capabilities of most drivers, and it's a recipe for mayhem!
    As said above, if you get tangled up in an accident with the current crop of vehicles, and you're in a hot rod built from a car on topic for HAMB, you're gonna come out on the short end of the stick.
    Getting hit from the rear is a real hazard, with our propensity to favor small brake/tail lights such as '39 tear drops and '50 Pontiac while today's cars have brake/tail lights that are huge in comparison. Drivers somehow just don't seem to see our brake lights. They are conditioned to see only the high mounted third brake lights of today, and huge lower lights at deck lid level.
    On my '31 "A" Hiboy roadster I have a louvered deck lid with the top row having a red LED light inserted into each of the 7 louvers, invisible until brakes are applied.
    Would like to equip my '40 coupe with third light in rear window(s), but at top of the glass, as the slight rake of car makes that part useless to see anything at street level anyhow! Just haven't found what I want yet.

19. J_J2

J_J2

I’m from Garden Grove, I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimmy six likes this.
  20. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think a lot of the issue besides smartphones, is ignorance of newer drivers. Meaning drivers that have never driven anything besides a front wheel drive, ABS, traction control, etc. Have you ever seen the asshatery people do in front of semi trucks?

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

No, it`s just that everybody is in a hurry when they get behind the wheel. Doesn`t matter where you live or how old you are. They have tunnel vision and don`t stop what might occur. Told a guy Halloween night to slow down. A couple days later he chews my but out in the parking lot where he works. I said what about the little kids crossing the street with cars parked along the side. It was very dark that night.

22. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work in Irvine and sometimes have to drive class A stuff around......totally feel your pain :).

Defensive driving is a must, assume everyone is out to get you. Works for me in a car or on a cycle, that's why I like to cruise at night......but you have to live so day driving in traffic always happens too.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

Sold my Harley 8 years ago because of stupid drivers and my increasing age. I don't drive my 32 Fords much because the idiots make me feel invisible. I did build a 40 coupe last year and feel much safer in it. Just installed LED taillights in the back as I had a close call with it. Even though our little community is only around 2000 there's still idiots trying to get you.

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad I moved to Oregon in 1984.

jimmy six likes this.
  25. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

This is why I am converting to discs. I started with 4 chime horns from a 60s Cadillac and it helped a little.

bobss396 and nunattax like this.
  26. cfmvw

cfmvw

I can easily keep pace (or outrun) traffic in my 1960 VW hotrod, but I still have people tailgate me or even try to run me off the road no matter how fast I am driving. A lot of aggressive drivers out there...

27. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think everyone should have to ride motorcycles and semi trucks in traffic they would drive with a hell of a lot more caution. The problem I have is some of the people just wait to get of that OLD car, no matter how fast I am going and the rest tailgate you to get a better look.

28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20201108 Brake lights.jpg 12 inch LED 3rd brake light (HMSL) from Summit Racing - $16.99. I made a couple of small aluminum sheet metal brackets to hold it in position. Brake light bulbs are 1157R (Red LED replacement bulbs).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-38943b

More LED options on this link:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/third-brake-light-assemblies?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=united+pacific+red+LED&N=part-type:third-brake-light-assemblies

EDIT: Forgot about the split window - Perhaps a shorter LED unit in each window? There are shorter units in the link above.

p.s. This Volvo PV544 design was more-or-less a shrunken copy of a 1940 Ford.sedan

Russ

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    pitman and guthriesmith like this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Trouble is that Volvo has a one piece rear window and a '40 Ford has a two piece, and a 12 inch fixture won't fit.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

It's not a target on you, but we feel that way, right?

Think of the past 30 years or so, ABS, etc...cars stop quicker with worse reaction time. I grew up and through drivers ed was taught defensive driving, not the case right now, it's mentioned, but 40+ years ago you couldn't take an online class to get your permit...;)

Just my opinion, but think the "other guy" doesn't care if you are in a '29 Model A, or a 2019 Ford. They just drive as they have been and expect you'd do the same, even though most of our vehicles cannot

Automotive Stud and seb fontana like this.