Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving from California to Illinois--with 2 X H.A.M.B. friendly vehicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Oct 2, 2011.

1. :D Well first off , your last post would have taken me a month to type LOL. Seeing that I haven't had a vacation in 4 years your thread did me wonders, almost felt like I was along for the ride. Being the son and brother to a WW2 & Nam jarheads Vets I say thanks to you and Semper Fi. How long do you think it'll take to get back to your "normal" life and recover from the trip? I'd be toast for a couple weeks, but I'm old !:cool:

2. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Well, it did sorta take me a couple weeks to type if you look at it in the proverbial sense!! I had finally collected up all the scraps of receipts that I had in the glove box, my backpack, and a small bag that was labeled 'receipts' in the custom cupholder on the trans tunnel in the '65.. :)
    All that came after the stark realization of just how expensive the trip was.. Still reeling in pain over that--but the bill is paid..
    Now--I just have a 'few' projects to finish up.. :)

3. Best thread of the year!
    Bring that Suburban to our Scrap Drive show next June,...it'll be our "feature car",..we'll give you a prominate place to display it!..heck bring the trailer and the 41 too!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Every old car person should read this. Really good story and adventure. Good luck in the future.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

"Mayhem" - it should be the name of the Burb.............

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

bad as i hate to see this journey of your end(i loved reading about it) imglad you have made it home safe.good going son, you have pulled off something that most just dream of.

7. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

My hat is off to ya Sir,

Thanks for taking me along on your trip.........

I'm tired from just reading along with you on the trip.hahhhahahahhahahhh!

two thumbs up and a well deserved pat on the back....

Good Luck with everything else in your life travels...........

Chuck........

8. JaBoney

JaBoney

Love these Road Trips! Here is a thought. Wonder if it would have been more cost effective to have brought a meadium sized tool box with you on the plane. You could have checked it in at the ticket counter, for a fee. This way you would not have to buy all those tools on the road!

9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hahah.. sounds good.. I'd love to--who knows, maybe it'll see some more miles by that time.. Hopefully I will have been able to smooth out some of her bumps and old bruises by then-- :)

Thanks 48fordnut.. I think I may have been working with the last of my luck on this trip--as evidenced by it's signs.. :)

6inarow-funny you say that.. As I was typing that last entry--I thought of having that scripted name put underneath the '10' emblems on the front cowl pieces..

yeah--I'm glad to call it over.. But--you bet I'd do it again..

Chuck--thank you much..

JaBoney-- you're 100% right on that idea.. Would have been a smart idea.. I've got plenty of "I shoulda" thoughts following this trip... Mainly--I shoulda planned a little better..

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

at least you are able to grasp reality and face the fact that this was a very expensive adventure.

on the other hand, it would have cost you the best part of half that much to have two vehicles transported from CA to IL.

I hope the experience was worth the difference and the time was considered a vacation.

personally, I couldn't have taken the time, nor would I have accepted the risk nor the cost.

but you got it done and deserve credit for your bravado

11. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Thanks for taking us along on the ride!

12. You would have had to shell out the $2200+ for the parts on your list after the burb was delivered and you get to keep the tools.

so the trip (ticket, trailer, gas, food and hotels) was +/- $2600

So what was the "adventure" worth ??? It was very entertaining for the rest of us.

13. Hell I'll chip in $20.00 for gas for the next trip just so I can follow along.:D

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yup, this is the way to look at it. You really spent just about what the delivery would cost for two cars. But then you'd be bitting your nails waiting for a week or two for them to show up. Much less stress going to get them yourself. :D:D

Congratulations on getting back, I enjoyed your trip, too.

Frank.

15. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Bobwop.. you're right.. No need for the offerings of credit.. it's kinda like earning stripes.. I'm sure many of you who've been around much longer than I have put some rubber on the road and faced the hurdles and speedbumps.. I'm merely taking my turn on the road in and around life..

Ford52PU.. You're welcome--thanks for tagging along..

Kint-- yeah.. It was well worth it.. The "looking back" mentality didn't take long to set in. After getting the '41 lodged in my mom's place and the '65 cleaned out and on the road for a bit WITHOUT the trailer--everything felt much much much better..

milwscruffy.. save the $20 and ride along... but-you gotta buy your own food--I'm cheap.. :)

Frank, thanks a bunch.. thank you thank you thank you....

16. voodoo1

voodoo1

Way to go. This has been very interesting. Good experience for you and the rest of us reading it. Mike

17. Not to hijack but this reminds me of the adventures of Flyin' Phil Elliott and his quest to build a vintage Nova funnycar, particularly his trip to pickup a ramptruck in the Midwest. Used to be able to find it here:

www.nitronova.com

but link is broken and I can't find any new postings anywhere.

Steve

19. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

It might have been an expensive trip but...the experience is priceless. Well done, thanks for bringing us along for the ride.[​IMG]

20. conormulroney

conormulroney

Bravo! And glad you made it home. Everyone should have a trip like this in their lifetime.

21. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I think poverty flats owes you a apology,LOL. Man you made it,we were all rootin for ya. It is so cool that you kept up the up dates for us as you went.

22. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

I'm in Sacramento CA. If you get up this way and need any help my garage is open to you. PM and I'll give my cell # just in case.

23. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

thanks for posting the wyoming pictures. that's really cool! i can't wait to see these two gems come to life! (i think the price list is a nice touch to the thread.... it really does make a real wakeup as to what we are willing to do for our desire to have cool cars, and experiences with them!) in my book, it was worth it as long as you could afford it! :) xoxo

24. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hahah.. no apologies needed.. We had a 'coming to god' moment through PM's.. Straight up dude who believes in the concept of 'reality'--and the fact that this trip couldn't have turned out any more real...

scooby--I already made it back to Illinois man!!! Trip is over.. and, as Doll Kustom points out below--the build of the two rigs will come next..

You're very welcome.. There's a lot to be seen on I-80 rolling through Wyoming--and I'm sure much more tremendous beauty should I have had more opportunity meander through the hills.. But--as YOU know--I didn't have too much confidence in the rig while passing through your beautiful state.. And--as you said, it's all what we are able to afford.. I slid the cash across the service counter each time to keep myself going down the road--it was what had to be done.. and it was totally worth it.. 100%

25. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

i am just so happy that it was all a big memory... and a good one... yeh, you had some greasy, dirty moments, but you conquered every situation and made it... so it really is all good!!! at least i would chalk it up to that! :)

26. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Doll K- It's been chalked up as a positive adventure at this point.. It didn't take long for the tables of thought to turn towards the + side of things.. Just needed to hit the end, or have some downtime to reflect on it.. Now--I just need to start working on the cars...

27. nitrider65

nitrider65

keep the wheels rollin cant wait to read whats next good luck ..

28. Welcome to the "Fly in and Drive out" club...!

Looks like your trailers tire is a bit low at that NAPA store.

I guess your good fortune at the NAPA stores dispels the old acronym rumor... "Never A Part Available"... but they have their own acronym for us brave souls who take on an adventure like these... their counter people ask... "Need Another Part Asshat"?

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ha, glad to see you made it. wish id have been following the thread a bit closer because if you were in beresford<-- where you all would be correct in that area having basicly no cell service, and headed east from there you were probably less then 6 miles from my house. in all honesty you probably drove by my shop were i work on the 46 is! haha

good times, again glad to see you made it!

30. ...how about some pics of the truck & coupe.?