Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving an old car cross country in the winter-how crazy am I?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jan 25, 2016.

1. 59 brook

59 brook

depending on where in ny and for how long ,you might consider staying in NJ down around edison or so. cheaper hotels, easy to get into the city and Harry's deli in raritan center . corned beef sandwich is about 18" tall and comes with 6 extra slices of rye bread

loudbang likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree with Bruce, and add you might want to research it, but I understand there are pre treatments available now for rust preventative protection that claim to be better than oil sprays.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your ride, Bud. I built a really cool "puss" roadster for cruising everywhere. It has heated seats, Vintage Air a/c-heat, lots of insulation inside and under the body, and it works as good as a roadster can function when it is not a coupe. Good luck in your travels. Looks ready to go to me. You are going to love that G V. My roadster gets 22.5 at 70 mph turning 2000 rpm's with a 700R4 and 3.73 gears. A motel with enclosed parking is a great suggestion, both for security and weather.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions and offers of help! the hamb is a great place....

No kids travel with me, there are strict policies that schools follow these days. The idea about windshield washers is great, something I knew but forgot about...we never need them around here, but they're so necessary when driving on dirty wet highways. Potholes, I forgot how bad they get, and I should know because they get bad around here when we get a soggy spell. Parking is one of my main concerns, the offer to store the car a ways from the city is a great one. The hotel we plan to stay at is withing walking distance of the competition, so I would probably not need to drive in the city once I get to where I'm going.

Lots to think about...thanks again.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the north we always expect the weather to get better in March and we are always disappointed. How is your heater and especially the defroster? They should be powerful enough to drive you out of the car, or force you to drive with the windows open in Arizona winter if set at full blast. How are your windshield wipers? Must be working perfect and reliable, most don't bother in Arizona.

Other than those things you know the vehicle better than we do. Do you think it's up for a trip like that?

Also how much experience do you have driving in rain or snow? A rear wheel drive truck light in the back with wide tires is not the best in bad weather.

The wipers and defrosters are deal breakers as far as I am concerned. If they are good and everything else checks out, go for it. But take a co driver who is from the north if you can.

6. As Rusty said, heater, wipers, and antifreeze. Consider the road trip a destination and have fun.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Jim,
    The Suburban will do fine, with good wipers, & washers, a good heater and defroster. Its not how the truck will function that has me concerned.

As already stated, winter is not yet over in the north east 1/4 of the USA in mid March. You could breeze in and out without issues, or to could deal with a huge snow storm (or worst, an ice storm) all the way east, then hit another going back west. Have you been watching the storm tracks this winter? They come out of Canada, cut south to as far as Texas then hook towards the north east, along the path you most likely will be following.

Driving in the eastern states sucks, and the closer to the coast you get, the worst it becomes. The roads are pothole (more like small craters) filled, narrow, and congested, with angry drivers that are in a big hurry.

Besides all of that, I would be concerned about the high chances of damage and theft the truck will be subject to receive from they fine people of NYC. Other drivers, road conditions, lack of parking, leaving a valet park your truck (really!) There is a reason a 5 year old car in NYC is an "old" car, they beat them to death there. Your truck will be subjected to more abuse in a week there then it would in 10 years in AZ.

As much as I like road trips, the timing and location of this one is all wrong. Ship the robot, fly to NYC, and ride around in the Taxis and trains. Gene

8. For a Drag Week survivor, should be a piece of cake. Will look forward to the ride along on the ole www.

loudbang likes this.
  9. why do i keep thinking of this?

10. chargin03

chargin03

11. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just check with the hotel for parking. Hotels are 99% valet parking. Pull up front, take the bags "and stuff" out of vehicle, then you don't see it again 'till you're checking out. They do NOT allow the vehicle in and out at will. You will not need it for the time in the city, but will want it back to leave.
    Other than that, just do it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Other than a possible theft issue the vehicle should be able to make the trip with no issues. Don't forget to try the Picante sauce that they make in NYC. At least that's what the commercial says. lol

13. wsdad

wsdad

I only read through about half of the thread so, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

If you make it on time without any damage to your cargo then you're a hero and all around smart guy for having an antique vehicle that can do the job.

If something happens, most of the parents and kids will be looking for a reason to hang you. Your vehicle is odd (to them). So they'll use that as evidence that you're foolish and a heal for risking their event, fun and hard work just so you could enjoy driving your old truck.

May I suggest leaving a day early, so that if anything happens, weather it's your fault or not, you have time to repair or get towed to the nearest town and rent a car or a small U-Haul?

Then you can enjoy your old truck and the trip. And it will only be a mildly interesting story to them if something happens along the way.

If nothing happens then you and your wife have an extra day to explore New York.

Hope you have a really good time! (Post some pictures. Post one of the robot, too!)

czuch likes this.
  14. You know you spoiled us with your trip to Drag Week. We expect lots of pictures.
    Something tells me you can handle any of the small problems that might come up.
    Have a fun and safe trip.

15. Not across country but ran up the East coast starting out of Alabama in an old Corvette about 30 years ago. It was dead middle of February and only carried a small box of tools.
    Bought the car sight unseen flew way down south to pick it up. Started up quick, sounded good, the side pipes were hollow and away my buddy and I went. I did eleven hour shifts off and on.
    Got off in the Bronx and cruised up and down Jerome Avenue and checked out Yankee stadium for fun
    It started snowing lightly in Connecticut but we soldiered on.
    I bought some funny candy at a truck stop that seemed to taste peculiar. It kept me very WIDE AWAKE I'll tell ya.
    Never saw a cop the whole trip and only hit a construction area one time. It was the best at night time and running mostly 80 - 90 MPH.
    To this day I can still hear the sound in my brain of those Hooker headers and open side exhaust when I would exit a toll both. PURE MUSIC.
    I'd do it again on a moments notice but I'd carry a AAA plus card with me.
    Best road trip ever!

falcongeorge, loudbang and pitman like this.
  16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As an ex-NYer it surprises me how much paranoia the rest of the country has about the city. I spent three years as a part-time super-stretch limo (26 footer) driver in Manhattan and the Boros. I also spent a dozen years as a car commuter into Manhattan from both Brooklyn and from out-of-state. My dad commuted to Manhattan by car for 35 years. Between us there were no accidents, no thefts, no bad parking garage experiences (except the prices). It almost sounds like you guys have been watching too many 1970s movies about the city.

It's really not that bad. And when it snows, you'd be surprised how quickly it gets cleaned up.

57JoeFoMoPar and squirrel like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well if there's no kids in the truck then I say go for it. Here are my bits of advice however.

•try to keep some weight over the back, your hauling stuff there and back so you should be ahead of the curve there but a couple hundred pounds does wonders.

•make sure your phone is charged and you have a vehicle charger with you.

•bring blankets and or a sleeping bag

•flash light

•an actual map for when you find out middle America in the winter has no cell service.

•maybe a length of chain or a tow strap. It's not that hard to find someone to pull you out but a lot of the time they won't have anything to use.

•good if not great defroster and a good window scraper, last week it blasted is so hard with rain before I snowed that even the defrost and wipers couldn't keep up and people, including myself, pulled over on the side of the street to scrape it off after three blocks.

•good warm boots.

•A general idea of your route and people that live along it. There's only so many routes you can take from there to there and I've lived along most of them for decades so believe mark and I that winter is far from over and it wouldn't be in common for you to hit a storm that dumps 20+ inches of snow in 24 hours. Itll probably be past the real cold of the winter, around Omaha its not unusual for it to read -40 to -60 with the wind chill in February. But it'll still get cold.

Oh and maybe one of those magnetic plug in block heaters. Don't know if your familiar with those, they slap on the bottom of your engine and you plug it in overnight so your car actually starys in the cold mornings.

That being said it could be 67 and sunny your whole way there and be terrible on your way back. It's very much a roll of the dice at that time of the year.

loudbang likes this.
  18. pitman

pitman

x2 on Good Warm Boots!

19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Your a smart enough man to get through! Have FUN as you seem to always do and give us a peek of the trip! Don't let the pessimists bring ya down. What was that old commercial used to say? JUST DO IT! Joe

20. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Lots of good advice here, would like to add Check Your Anti-Freeze !! A friend lost a good flathead in a 33 that was shipped from so Cal to Denver in mid winter. The seller didn't think about colder temps over the pass.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thinking back on how much I enjoy driving my old old car in the snow, when it was an old car I loved, with a good engine, good heater and good tires.
    But we tend to wimp out because af the risk salt and water, but it's a matter of enjoying your car, and if the car is thoroughly paint and greased up, it's should handle a single trip!!
    Plenty of washing, cleaning and regressing and it's as good as new. Or as good as when you left!
    And it can't be worth the bonneville salt.

Further more, if you are the kind of man that goes cross country in a gasser, you should have a fun and have a comfy ride in that wonderful surbuban!

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, that's a wrap on driving cross country in an old car. Now we need to address his second question, "How crazy am I?

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...AND if you come up through Joplin/Springfield on I-44, I got your back if you need something in the Southwest Missouri area...just let me know.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody qualified on this board to make that judgement, still should not affect your decision.

loudbang, volvobrynk and Special Ed like this.
  25. I say go for it! I love road trips, all my years of traveling I never had a road trip that I regretted, always had fun.

26. rjones35

rjones35

Hell yeah! That'll be a great trip.

27. i heard once "it takes one to know one"
    what do you guys think?;)

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  28. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

The next time I see New York City will be to soon but if your traveling through Wilkes-Barre /Scranton Pennsylvania
    I'm there for you.. Enjoy your trip and then tell us all about it when you get back to AZ.

29. Take the wifes truck. Be more comfy, won't get stolen when in motel, and be more confident of not screwing up the event. Save taking the sub for a trip that don'y matter. just my 2 cents.

30. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks yet again for all the comments. The hotel we are probably staying at offers self park, it's kind of expensive but I think we can afford it. The keeping warm part, I think I have a handle on it...boots, blankets, heater, defrost, real maps, etc were all in the plan already. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but then she went with me to the Meltdown Drags in the Suburban last summer...we had a few heat issues on that trip, but made it just fine.

I wish the weather planning folks would give us a longer range forecast.

Tim and volvobrynk like this.