Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving a rod in the heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stewedscrewdtattood, Jun 1, 2012.

1. hell ya .. i love it ... its like owning really hot spa on wheels ... summer set-up as follows in back pack .... frozen water botttle.. 2 clean under shirts . some towels . one to sit one ... others to wipe face .

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Just painting the black car white lowered the inside temp 20 degrees. Adding insulation lowered it some more. Fresh air vent just above the floor and windows open make a comfortable ride even in the mid 90s with high humidity. Our stop lights are all short timed so waiting for them to change has little effect. If it was unbearable, I'd add air in a heart beat. I have a kick butt heater and defroster for when it gets cold too. I want to drive my car and I will be comfortable while doing it. I'm feeling too old to have less. Gene

3. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

All the time the lights damit

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just about ready to get my 37 Chevy p/u out for the night and its the worse I have for hot weather.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

paying for AC is worth it

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A LOT of folks bitch and moan about rodders installing A/C in their rods ...

I could care less ... Vintage Air is almost required here in South Carolina.
    It was 95 degrees here @ 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I have to have A/C! The heat just makes me sick anymore. I put it on my Cadillac, but could not compromise appearance, the controls and vents are not visible. Creature comforts become more important to me as time goes along.

~Alden

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Bee funnels... I mean vent windows! They work great until the lights turn red

9. My 63 Galaxie was my Daily Driver /only car when I was stationed on the outskirts of Phoenix a few years ago. The motor is bored .060 over, so I was more worried about the engine getting hot, but it ran like a champ through the summers. The steering wheel and door handles and other bare metal pieces got damn hot though! I just rolled the windows down and went.

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

100 degrees plus , not a cloud in the sky , and having a really good time . Nuf said .

Attached Files:

11. Two weeks ago I drove my '29 from Colorado Springs to Boulder then back into Denver then from Denver to Loveland then from Loveland back home to the Springs. Right at 275 miles total. It was 97 and probably 115 inside the car and I was cooking but loved every minute of it. The humidity here is nearly nonexistent so that make it a little better. I am from TN and they can keep their muggy hot summer. I'd rather be cooking in a '29 Ford than cooling in a 2012 Prius. My Hudson is going to get a/c eventually but it's an old underdash unit I bought from my neighbor.

12. Drove my 66 F100 to work every day for nearly a year in Houston.....no AC.

It was ok as long as I was moving. Sit still at a light and that Houston heat and humidity gets to you pretty quick.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Before bringing the Model A north (used to keep it at a friend's house in the Pacific Northwest) we ran everywhere from the Canadian Border, to Phoenix, with several passes by Bonneville, las Vegas and a few other places that are hardly ever "warm". ;)

16. Lil32

Lil32

well said Doc

17. Coupedup

Coupedup
    from Berea Ohio

Gonna get a good taste of that tomorrow. A group of us are leaving for the GoodGuys show in Columbus. Supposed to be 94 to 96 degrees for the 2hr drive down. I'm more worried about pop up thunderstorms. Drag slicks and bias plys don't like wet roads to much.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Seems like there's allot of that going around lately.... And I live near Motown... :rolleyes:
    I got a nice tan from driving my droptop.... :D

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

i hate hot weather and i live in alabama.but i drive one of my cars everyday with no air.but yesterday i got sick for the heat lost my cookies as i got out of the car. glad it was outside of the car and not inside. it would still be there.

20. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

We left the L. A. Roadster Show to drive back to Florida and the first day it reached 111 degress in the desert of Arizona.

Attached Files:

22. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I drive my Hyundai with the A/C on! It's got a great heater for the winter too! Maybe I should change my avatar.

I think this thread has been done before.

23. How do you think these old cars were driven when they were brand new ??....Very few, if any of them, had A/C....regardless of what part of the USA they were in...You just rolled down the glass and opened all vents and drove away....That's just the way it was...And heaters were an extra cost option that lots of people didn't spring for either...Try to buy any new car today without heat and A/C !!

24. Funny, I remember used car ads in the paper when they highlighted "radio & heat"

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just got back from a show in my 37,opened the cowl vent and windshield and had both windows down and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

26. It was 91 before noon today. I don't have a late model car to drive so if I have to go somewhere I have to drive the Willys.

27. Drove the wagon to breakfast this morning and it was actually pleasant on the other hand I've been out all afternoon in the 32 pickup and roasting!,,,Hotter than monkey love here today!

I drive my hot rods regardless of the weather hot or cold,,so I'm ether sweating or freezing. :rolleyes: but always happy to have a hot rod to drive. HRP

28. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Bottom line is that you gotta drive 'em! The weather ain't always going to be ideal, regardless of where you live. Here's me headed to Columbus in 95+ degree weather, and another from slightly colder day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. my 29 has a recessed firewall and lake headers.its hot as hell,i drive it in the heat,front window open and its livable.just sitting in traffic is ball soup hot.even she starts getting a bit warm

30. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

mine runs HOT in the weather. 496 bbc at 200+ makes me nervous