Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving a Model A on highways?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercab78, Jun 24, 2014.

1. supercab78

supercab78

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't mind the wind noise it just of caught me by surprise the first time over 45 MPH. I'm glad I'll to be able to open the window a little on the highway also.

2. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Drive with mine open and inch or two all the time and on the highway 65-70.... just make sure it is secured good and tight. Not sure if this recommendation was made before but driving after dark almost certainly requires it to be open at least an inch or so to kill some the oncoming headlight, streetlight, advertising light glare bouncing around inside, it will drive you nuts.

3. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I think that I am going to add that to my tag line!

4. Speed~On

Speed~On

Don't worry about the wind noise. Any Model A hot rod driven at highway speed will be a bit noisy. Don't fear that wind noise, that's just how it is.....enjoy the experience.

As far as your vinyl top, here is the deal...
    You may notice once you stop and get out that there are now wrinkles in it. Almost like it was stretched out from the wind and now there's extra material. Don't worry, the wrinkles will soon be gone (anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe a few hours) as the vinyl top will return to being taught and look normal again.

Have fun and stay safe.

5. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Not only you, I got hit in the chest by a small bird.

Back in the 70's, I had the windshield wide open on my 36 IHC at speed and a wounded wasp ended up on the seat half way under little Ralphie and the twins. That's when I learned I could drive standing up!

Seriously, the more I lifted my butt, the further he went under my crotch and I couldn't come back down without consequences so I had to keep my ass up in the air. I managed to get my foot off the accelerator without lifting my heel and got it into neutral, so I coasted to a stop and managed to avoid any pain. Damn lucky.

6. I have an older friend that says that wind noise is one mark of a hot rod, the others being engine and road noise, rattles and being buffeted even with all the windows closed.

Merlin likes this.
  7. Watch out when you pass (are are passed by) the 18 wheelers. They push a lot of wind in front of them. You are already light in the front end due to the wind lifting the front fenders.

Charlie Stephens

8. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have a duce roadster and when driving it at 65 mph and the windshield open about 3" it started raining real, real hard. People passing us thought we were crazy.
    The rain went over our heads and diden"t get a drop inside and none on the windshield!

THEN... we had to stop for the toll booth...

All was not lost though, I got the presidents trophy at the car show for our efforts.

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

80 mph .....no problem

wex65 likes this.
  10. flathead okie

flathead okie

Mine has a loud whistle through the w/s @ 75 mph open or closed. Don't have a problem with the stretched top.