Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driveshafts and Pinion Angle Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Satterfield, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad you got it sorted out man, as you can see this is a sticky topic for the board and generates a bunch of... well a bunch lol.

Hope you stick around the board and keep us posted on getting this sucker up to speed! Don’t let a bunch of sticks in the mud ruin it for you.

That being said I’d second then pete and jakes ladder bars with their cross member. It’s good stuff and second to none tech support only a phone call away. Great guys over there

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. Good.
    I hope you got your gas mileage sorted out too.

3. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I did fix the mileage issue...I replaced the Carter race pump that was on it with a lower psi/gph replacement and made it 3x2 with a progressive linkage...The 4 carbs were on a non progressive linkage and the high fuel pressure was going past the needle and seats...It didn't have a Man A Fre intake it was an Offy that had been broken and welded..There is no way in Hell anyone ever drove this car before I purchased it. I have driven a lot of junk over the years as earlier in my life it was necessary just to have transportation .Wife and I traveled 15 miles the other evening and did not have to phone a friend go home for the trailer or walk.. The former owner and builder had to trailer it everywhere..What I found strange was the builder/original owner was selling it for the new owner because he knew nothing about cars...Obviously the builder didn't know anything either... Smells of Bullshit to get money ..https://www.rodauthority.com/news/bruce-harvey-uses-american-graffiti-inspired-32-fight-cancer/ .......https://hanfordsentinel.com/feature...cle_386522a7-9ecb-5457-a5f3-ad802cf46760.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Unkl Ian and Budget36 like this.
  4. If this is the same pineapple Kustoms getting credit for the build -
    Id call this guy and ask him what the hell happened then.

image.png

Who ever put that on the road is a fucking idiot builder.
    Maybe a great visionary with a great marketing strategy and a good heart to battle cancer but needs to stay the hell out of the garage

5. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

The place of business was a supposed Pineapple Rods and Kustoms. Santa Clara Ca. I recently noticed the seller/ builder of the car has a recent negative eBay feedback from another car sale. Of course the response was the buyer was just trying to get something for nothing. Not his fault. I have kept quiet mainly out of shame for allowing myself to get screwed. But that’s over now...Just to confirm the rear housing was +12 degrees (Positive) when I received the car with a -1.2 (Negative) on the transmission...

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am just up the road from that "shop", and I have never heard of it.

Now I know to warn people away.

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  7. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

8. GuyW

GuyW

$45k build cost?? Most of that must have gone up their noses...

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Not a single picture of builds on the fancy website, unless I did something wrong, found a YouTube vid of the guy though.. seems real proud of his abilities

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You shouldn’t feel ashamed this thing happens in the car world in a low percentage , I’m happy to see people called out when it does , the scammers and people with low skill levels seem to be getting more bold, I think fancy websites ,Instagram , and message boards have giving people business that had no skill set building cars

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  11. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Being unable to weld properly put me in a bad spot in correcting this problem once I figured out the pinion angle was causing this particular issue...I paid for a " Turn-Key" car and was delivered the contrary in every aspect...I was expecting to have to do a few things..But nothing like this...It took nearly 6 weeks for it to arrive after the money was sent due to problems with the first carrier I selected and then it went down hill from there. I could see the look on a couple of friends faces when the carrier driver opened the truck that morning and it wasn't a thumbs up look .As I mentioned this was not the only issue this vehicle had....Part of the gauges not functional either not properly wired or not hooked up at all...LF wheel locked up--Windows off channels glass wedged in the doors ( glass deeply scratched from rattling around against metal)...A long term brake fluid leak which had wrinkled and lifted a large section of the frame paint..This was from instead of purchasing a 3 dollar union to connect the lines they had used a T with an old brake light switch to plug the extra hole and it was leaking...The photos of the car I received had the seat mounted on a riser...When it arrived the riser had been removed and the seat was laying loose on the floor unsecured...I am about 5-10 and could not see over the dash board..It will also need a repaint at some point..The front fenders are a different shade from the rest of the car...Also appears some one used a tinted clear on the areas around the windshield (Has an amber look)..Not to mention a few runs in the base coat...with a very dry clear top coat...11th graders at the local Vo-Tech center do much better paint work

carolinakid likes this.
  12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

It's water under the bridge now and a expensive education, but Auto Appraisers can be had for $300-$500 or more depending on the situation before you pull the trigger on anything to far away to look for yourself....Cheap in my book.
    Hope you get it all sorted out without a huge cash outlay.

http://classicautoappraiser.com/classic-car-appraisals/

13. 48stude

48stude

Eric, About 30 years ago I bought my 48 Stude pickup. I could see a lot of things that needed to be addressed, but I liked it. It had a junk yard 62 283 in it that still had all the junkyard grease on it. They beat the fire wall to gain clearance for the valve covers. The tranny was an old granny low truck tranny.
    It had a Camaro 10 bolt rear . The Camaro driveshaft had been cut about half way and the truck driveshaft was inserted into the Camaro driveshaft and welded. The rear shocks were welded on . I could go on and on , but you're getting the picture. It had a Camaro front clip on it that the frame horns had been torched off. The original Stude crossmember was held up against the frame horns and were ever it touched it had boogered up welds. I had the truck about two weeks and was coming home from a show around midnight and about a mile from home that boogered up crossmember fell off. It's a tarred and chip road so I wasn't going very fast. But that crossmember (which all the front sheet metal was connected to) dug into the road along with all the front sheet metal driving the fan into the radiator. I was sick and regretted buying it. But I got over it by putting new motor , tranny , repainted it and making it safe to haul my wife and son around to the tune of 50,000 miles. The fun I had with that truck over the years is priceless. I'm telling you this because you're not the first . Bill
    [​IMG]

14. At least you are making progress.
    I hope you can enjoy it soon.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Eric, I've been following this from the beginning, good to see you are getting somewhere with it. I imagine all of us have had the "what-on-earth-have-I-got-myself-into" thing going on, but it looks like you are hitting the enjoyment phase now. I liked Milner's coupe, and yours also.

Unkl Ian and Eric Satterfield like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the name of the owner of that shop.

Can you confirm the name of the person you dealt with?

17. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

NOT that everyone hasn't seen a million of them...But a few pics anyway..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. $500-600 bucks gets you a good MIG. Get a good auto-darkening mask. Get some scrap to practice on. It's pretty fun to learn. Kind of empowering actually.

19. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thanks...I do have a Lincoln Pro 140. Problem is I had a head injury years ago and even with the mentioned helmet the flash is still so bright I am unable to see where I am at..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  20. I don't like to weld as much as I did years ago. I'll tack up stuff now and have a mobile guy stop by the garage and finish it up. He has taken things back to his shop too.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just plain short on time.

I have two welders on-call.

bobss396 likes this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Adjusting the sensitivity and shade settings should cure this.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  23. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Shows how much I know. Didn’t know they were adjustable. Maybe mine isn’t? . Thanks for info.

1927graham likes this.
  24. Is it on, does it auto darken?
    Or is it off a d not functioning

25. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

It is auto darkening. But it is a cheap helmet purchased from Tractor Supply 6-7 years ago

26. The good helmets are adjustable, in darkness and sensitivity.

The cheap ones are not.

27. GuyW

GuyW

off topic - but a few years ago, at a time when $ were tight, I was getting my son set up with my mig welder. I considered buying him a HF helmet, but after thinking about how suicidal I would be if HIS eyes got damaged by a cheap malfunctioning POS, spent the $ to buy a top of the line helmet from a major welding manufacturer....

28. My nephew bought a helmet after I bitched about him using mine.
    He said mine was better and he could see much better.
    So I checked his out, it was kinda shitty to weld with until I turned it on for him.
    The on/off switch being in the right spot did wonders for the helmet's operation.

29. Dennis D

Dennis D

Battery dead?

Unkl Ian likes this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Interesting thread, followed it with interest. Closed my shop there (San Jose) in 1984, looks like some charlatans have taken up root.
    Lots has changed...