Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical drivers side alternator mount SBC - WTF is wrong ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 23, 2017.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to go with the bottom bracket being the issue.
    From the pictures it is clear that the bottom bracket is different from the example you posted.
    The bottom brackets for those alternators mount on extended tabs or bosses cast into the intake manifolds.

The header mounting bracket you are showing has the alternator way wrong in its bottom bracket location compared to where it would be on a stock cast iron exhaust manifold.

Surely there are proper lower brackets available.

image.jpeg

2. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Question: As it sits right now with the current lower-bracket, does the alternator pulley line-up with the crank and water pump pulleys?

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

It looks like the bottom mount is farther out on the bottom picture. Can you spacer your mount farther out.

4. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I had a factory 67 Chevy II 327 and the alternator bracket was the flat design not the formed model you have. It was Canadian built so it may have been different than US version. You changed to a short water pump, did you change the pulleys? Crank and water pump pulleys are both different. Years ago I helped a friend change his Chevelle to an aftermarket intake which had a similar alternator bracket to the one you have. The mounting hole in the intake was not in the same position as the factory intake and the bracket had to be modified. Welded a tab on the bracket to move the hole by a couple of inches.

5. rjones35

rjones35

6. rjones35

rjones35

7. rjones35 likes this.
  8. Yes it lines up.
    I Changed everything, pump , pulleys and the brackets

9. I've been waiting for someone to mention the 'tall' valve covers being used. Of course the alt is gonna stick out farther running those. Use the long skinny bracket as was mentioned. Double them up

olscrounger likes this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope this helps. I used the lower bracket in the pix which was from non bolt hole heads/ short water pump factory apps. for alternators. There was another piece that stiffened the mount , but the lower bracket in the pix bolted to a boss on the end of the rams horn exh. manifold.
    IMG_0459 (562x800).jpg
    I fabbed the stiffener brace that is welded to the header flange because of tha tall valve covers and hood clearance on my '40.
    IMG_0461 (601x800).jpg
    If you imagine the orange part pivoting down so that the lower bolt lined up with the end of the exh manifold the alt. could pivot out away from the valve cover.
    IMG_0462 (600x800).jpg
    You can see the lower bracket also uses the upper water pump bolt. The upper mount is just a flat strap that was used in the earlier '60s and is still available in chrome from many suppliers.
    IMG_0463 (600x800).jpg
    All 3 mounting points.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the pic in the post by 57heap is how the alt. would sit with my lower bracket .

12. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Why not shit can that whole system and buy one of these?

alt bracket.jpg

13. That's not a bad set up.

Slowly trying to get him closer and closer to stock appearing and looking more and more period with parts using each and every move,change or dollar. Just Getting rid of crap for him.

He don't need Tall covers on there either. I'm going to find an excuse to swap out the intake too. Lol

joel likes this.
  14. 56shoebox

56shoebox

That's the bracket I used in my 56 Chevy with a 350.

15. stimpy

stimpy

if you look at the picture of the other bracket you provided ,read the tag on the back of it ... it says uhmmm CAMARO not nova . in block letters ( EGP1311 ) I asked my nova collecter in the area he said that bracket ( yours) will not work , novas had the alternator mounted on the front face of the exh manifold and short covers ( and used a exh. manifold simular to the corvette and it moves the bottom out away from the head) , he said you can make a bolt extension from DOM tubes and push the brackets farther out , but the top will still be in the wrong place , also he said check the head height as some aftetmarket heads ( he said he cannot remember who , but it was several companies ) they raised the height of the cover mounting rail by a 1/2-3/4 " ( to control oil seapage and keep the oil in when the cover was off during adjustment and some have raised ports which throws things off ( and in rare instances make sure the heads were not angle milled to raise compression ) and with the low stock covers its a tight fit , but if your using aftermarket covers its a no go as its almost 1" taller ( stacked dimensions )

joel and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  16. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER