Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driveline center support SMASHED - What do I do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pOrk, Oct 18, 2005.

1. pOrk

pOrk

Finally pulled the driveshaft out of my 62 cadillac to replace the u joint on the rear, but came across the Driveline center support being FUCKED. Thing is seperated all the way around in the middle.

Problem is, NONE of the local yards have any old cadillacs and they do not sell or make these parts that I can find online besides one website that looks sketch as hell, and they want 150 bucks for the damned part.

Any idea where I can find one / have one made?

[​IMG]

Top line, 3rd piece from the right is what is fucked. The rest of it looks rough too, so I'd like to replace everything in that section if possible.

2. jonnycola

jonnycola

So is it the carrier bearing that's fucked?

I've got that 64 hearse, and It was fucked on mine too...

Take it to A1 driveshaft on 35th and keefe. They were able to find me a bearing, it was expensive though.

You might wanna Try Jacks auto ranch way out in watertown... he's got a few of those cadillacs.

3. Bugman

Bugman

would it be cheaper to just have a new 1 piece driveshaft made, or is that not possible/practical because of the length? What if you adapted a 2 piece shaft and center support from a late model GM or Chevy fullsize van? It might be a little more expensive up front, but much cheaper down the road.

4. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Its probably the same as all the other GM carrier bearings.... I think you should be able to get one at any parts store..

I just bought one for a 64 Implala the other day...

5. pOrk

pOrk

Well, heres the thing. A1 did my buddy chads 1 piece driveshaft, all they did was replace the 4 way u joint and they charged him 175 bones. I didn't want to fork over 300 bucks on a driveshaft fix, just sounded a bit steep for me.

This car has an x-frame, so no way a 1 piece is going to work.

What year would you recommend I try? I wish the local Advanced Auto had a few in stock then I could just measure a few and buy one thats closest, then drill new holes and make it work. I work at a machine shop, so that would be fairly simple.

6. Sorry, Bob, but Cadillac was allowed (by GM) for many years to go their own way. This means that lots of things do not interchange, especially driveline stuff, because the engineers wanted a smooth car, and a noticeably different driving experience from any other GM car. Otherwise, they'd not sell many Cadillacs, because they'd look and feel just like any other GM product. Then you'd lose market share and prestige.

In the fifties and sixties, they didn't let that happen.

Cosmo

P.S.
    Have you tried Egge for the bearing?? Possibly Bearing Headquarters or Berry Bearing?? They got me a replacement for a Chrysler's front wheel seal just on the numbers off the original felt seal.

7. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

Had the same exact problem with my Buick. Plus, I couldnt find a replacement anywhere. I didnt even know it was bad until I pulled the tranny out for a rebuild. I found one over at http://www.buick-parts.com/ They specialize in Buicks, but they may be able to help you locate one. Another thing, while I was in desperate search for a replacement, somebody on a Buick board told me that Cadillac limo's from the 70's - 80's will swap out. I have no idea if ours would be the same, but it may be worth a shot.

8. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

There expensive around 150 and ask for a carrier bearing. I'm waiting for one to get here for my rivi which is an x frame too. I wouldnt be surprised if they interchange. I need a hollander book.

9. pOrk

pOrk

The bearing is only 45 bucks, its the part around the bearing that I cant find.

I did find it on the same site I found that diagram I posted above on, BUT the email is bad the phone number doesnt work. They want 150 bones for it off that site.

I just got off the phone with my buddy Bill, just so happens he has a 64 4 door parts car. Mine is a 2 door, and I know 4 doors were 8 inches longer over all then the 2 doors so I am goign to assume the shaft is longer. BUT, the carrier bearing should be the same no? If so, I can probably get the entire driveline for 50 bucks, pull it apart and salvage what I can.

I'm not having much luck calling places here in town

10. pOrk

pOrk

Alright, I found a junk yard about an hour out that has a 2 door coupe drive shaft, complete, that they will sell for 125. Who knows if the u joints on it are any good though

11. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Mine was 150 for all of it the hosing the rubber peice and the bearing. I guarantee you can get a new one somewhere. Its not gonna be 10 bucks. If your gonna spend that much on a junkyard part you might as well hold out and find a new one for around 25 buck more. Dont jump the gun brother.

12. pOrk

pOrk

Yah, I kinda figured meh only 25 more. I ended up taking the driveshaft to a place down in the ghetto here in Milwaukee, ended up shootin the shit with the guys that work there. They found it for 90 bucks, and offered to throw it on and clean it all up for 125 bucks total, and that included the rear u-joint. Not a bad price at all. And its using new parts.