Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive shaft angle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, May 19, 2019.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I'm at the point where I need to determine the correct angle range for the driveshaft to have in the rear end to tranny connection. Suggestions? Thanks

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are numerous threads on this topic and even a video link in one of them.

Basically, the center line thru the engine/trans crankshaft should/must be parallel with the centerline of the pinion shaft in the rear end. Not ‘aimed’ at or directly in line with but parallel. Unless you have an unusually short driveshaft or jacked up suspension, the resulting ujoint operating angles should be within their normal operating range.

Suggest you do a thread search for more info if what I wrote hear is not clear.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    pitman likes this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

The angle can varie quite a bit and be OK but they need to be within 1/2 degree of each other.. On high hp cars if the joint has a jerk try to keep it in compression.

5. Make sure the u-joints are in phase with each other.

6. It’s so simple
    But each build can have its own variables
    What are you working on with pics

The gold standard term that must be adhered to is parallel. Second in line is Ujoint working angles.

The quantity of degrees is about 6th or 7th on the list. Don’t start there

jaw22w likes this.
  7. This video shows why it's necessary to keep the input and output angles of the u-joints as equal as possible.

8. pitman

pitman

If you can maintain a minimum, of 3°
    the ujoint is believed to pump lube thru.
    I aim for 3, but 5, 6 are okay too. In paired align as mentioned above.

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'll bet this is the most asked question on the HAMB. I just don't understand why. People make it way harder than it needs to be. It's really simple. Transmission output shaft parallel to the pinion shaft at ride height. 1/2 to 3 degree working angle in the U joint. 2 simple rules. The only exception might be a parallel leaf rear suspension and high horsepower.

10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The internet is a wonderful thing...if you use it !
    There are charts, descriptions, drawings ALL OVER the internet on this same subject.

Mike

Hnstray likes this.