Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drive Shaft and Radiator Shops in Houston?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTSDave, Aug 21, 2009.

1. GTSDave

GTSDave

I have 3 cars that need drive shafts. Who do you recommend here in the Houston area? I have heard good and bad, but no first hand accounts. One will need to be a race shaft, but the other two are for street cars.

Also, I have two radiators that need to be re-cored. All the shops I called only deal with new stuff, and don't want to touch mine. These are for 60's Mopars and I need to keep the original look. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. Driveshafts, Inc. 3422 N. Shepherd Houston,Texas 77018 713-868-6115 Gilbert has been doing my driveshafts for years excellent work at a fair price. I have not had any luck with radiator shops though.

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

I have used Driveshafts Inc. too

5. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

gilbert does great work, reasonable prices.

downtown radiator shop does excellent work
    505 Fairview St
    Houston, TX 77006-2901
    (713) 523-3546

don's radiator shop also restore gas tanks, well worth the drive
    3122 Underwood Rd, La Porte, TX‎ - (281) 479-4114‎

6. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

7. Houston drive train on 610 at wayside and hart radiator on Kerr st. Bruce

8. aldixie

aldixie

Dons radiator, corner of Spencer and Underwood in La Porte. Does good work and has been around for years.

9. GTSDave

GTSDave

Thanks for all the replies!

I will call the radiator shops next week and see if any of them can re-core my radiators. Will pull 2 of my drive shafts and bring them down to have new ones made.

I have had no luck with drive shafts over the years. It always seems like I end up with dented, dinged or just off-balance shafts. Drive line vibrations drive me nuts!

-Dave

10. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

If all else fails, call me Dave................I have a good line on alum radiators..our ole buddy Al at Nickels.........and you should go with aluminum d/s in the Cuda.............and don't let all think that you DON'T have a real HotRod..........show us the coupe..............

Mark

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  11. GTSDave

GTSDave

Thanks Mark,

Damon hooked me up with an aluminum radiator from Al, so it is good to go. I need a shaft for the Roadrunner. The previous owner clamped it in a vice to change the u-joint on it denting the shaft causing it to vibrate, and weakening it.

The GTS has a cut down shaft in it, that either has too much run out, or is severely off balance. Not good with 4:10's! I also have two radiators for my A-Bodies with the round tops that need to be re-cored. The GTS is a resto so it will have to be the original style round top.

The plan is to sell the Roadrunner to fund a new chassis for the coupe. It is running and driving and the AC is working so it shouldn't be too hard to find a home for it.

The coupe will be FE powered with a top loader and 9". I doubt the model A chassis will hold up to the abuse! I hope to get started on it this year once the Cuda is done. Should have the Cuda in paint by the end of September. By then the intake should be back.

Lots of fun and stuff to do. Can't wait for the Coupe. Will probably be driveing it to work on most sunny days. Here is a pic. Still have it hiding at my grandmothers house LOL. Paper boy has been driving her nuts about it for years LOL. Finally got the title changed over to me, so it can start spending some money on it.

Did Damon tell you about the P38 Belly tank for sale out here???

-Dave

[​IMG]