Register now to get rid of these ads!

History DRIVE-IN THEATRE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 29, 2018.

1. John Gutmann - America, 1930s (12).jpg

Can you imagine a time when seeing & hearing talking pictures was ground breaking? HRP

2. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Seems that our "MODERN" generation takes a lot for granted.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sept 9,1934 L.A.'s First - Pico Blvd & Westwood Blvd

4. Is that the one in the photo?HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Some enterprising entrepreneurs opened a drive-in theater in town about a year ago. I haven't been yet. But I'll get a 'rountoit someday soon.

http://driveinusa.com/nb/

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fogging up the windows that got rolled up to keep the skeeters out, and that one time I drove off with the speaker hanging off the shotgun side of the car.

7. Jay71

Jay71

Lost my virginity in the back of a pickup at the drive in. I know theres a country song in there somewhere. Also blew out my dvr side window in my 72 Nova when I drove away with the speaker in the window. Man I miss the drive in!!

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We have three drive in's around here. Two in Riverside and one in Ontario.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yes

10. Lotsa memories for sure;).We have a couple around here.

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

We still have 2 drive ins within 20 miles of the house we go every once in a while quite a few guys with rods go we mostly just set an shoot the shit while the girls watch the movies. About the same thing we did when i was 14.

12. Well Danny, I just couldn't help but post a rendering I did some time back for the FAS..This is how I remember those days

22.jpg ;)

40FORDPU, pat59, coneman and 11 others like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The last few times we went I had a PU, parked it backwards and did the lawn chairs in the bed. Watched the movie intently, nothing like going back in the 60’s ;)
    Sixteen years old, first car, cute little girl with you headed to the drive in, what’s not to like?
    Great memories..

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I was taken to the Drive Inn movies after WW2,but a big thing;;As a kid up tell early 1948 we didn't own a TV,was a really big deal to own one,Dad got one an for the first week,they invided freinds over too see a hr. or more! Sat. am was often story time on radio,like Lone Ranger,Gangbusters,The Shadow,Straight Aerow,an many times would have a number kids siting around the radio from all over the block. So this was about what happen with the new TV,but bigger,just more came too see. The new TV set was a big cabnit,but the TV screen was only about 7in.round an 6in. lit-up ,black an white an a bit fuzzy<< Thought it was super amazing!!!

15. Oh yeah, Hot rods to Hell! :D HRP

chryslerfan55, themoose and Deuces like this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

64 Dive in South of Muskogee, Oklahoma, got to see two movies that year, 1960. Home from the Hill, starring Robert Mitchum and North to Alaska, starring John Wayne. Also saw Thunder Road there several years earlier, but can’t really remember it much, was just a kid then. Seven years later, I practically lived there with my 55 Ford. Went every week end , didn’t care what movie, went for the fun!
    Sometimes, when my hot rod Ford was comprised, I would take my dads 66 Galaxie, I would fill the trunk with my buddies. My headlights would shine over the movie screen! The less we paid to get in.... the more money we had for beer!

Lots of good memories there!

Bones

17. aaggie

aaggie

It was cold in the Winter in New England so you could rent a propane heater that hung on a rear window with the bottle on the outside and a small catalytic burner on the inside. Toasty warm. You had to leave your drivers license as a deposit. The last drive in I went to had the sound come in the car radio speakers when you tuned it to the right station, no more speaker on the pole.

18. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

We’ve still got ours.
    Last summer my wife and I took the wagon to sees Cars 3,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Hell yes, we just got FM radio three years ago where I live:rolleyes:

20. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Same with the Ford-Wyoming drive-in in Dearborn.... Tune the car stereo to what is printed below the screen..... Can't wait for that new movie: Operation Finale to start playing there!!! The wife and I are going!.... :)

21. When I would tell my girlfriend we were going to the movies she always asked, "Are you going to drive it in?" My response would always be, "Only if you let me":eek::D

22. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I feel a lot better now knowing that I wasn't the only one who drove off with the speaker attached to the window. Great memories.

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

And sometimes, if you needed a speaker for the garage, it wasn’t a mistake.

24. We have the Route 66 Drive In at the edge of Carthage, MO on old Rt 66......so they get a certain amount of Rt 66 travelers stopping in. There is another drive in at Aurora, MO called the Sunset Drive In.....which was going back in the 50s when I was in high school....and still operating today.

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We also had the “ Sunset drive in” on the North side of Muskogee, went there back in the day with a long legged blond, found out she was my third cousin, first movie I ever saw at that drive in.

Bones

26. While on a date at the drive-in. We drove off in my 38 Chevy coupe with the speaker still in her window. It did crack the glass pretty bad.:eek: But I still have that old speaker, and the girl too.;) 150.jpg 358.jpg

27. Starlite Drive-In in Stamford CT. was our make out place!

28. Thanks Mark, Here in Anderson we have a Defunct K-Mart where the Skyway drive-in once stood, and that is were we saw several movies advertised in the video you posted.HRP

29. The Horror of Party Beach was filmed at West Beach about a half mile from the Drive In. They were thinking of using my Corvette powered Model A in the movie, but chose some stupid sports car instead.:rolleyes: My favorite memory was seeing Thunder Road with my parents. I was in the back seat of our 49 Plymouth.:cool:

30. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Here's the last time I was at a drive in. The Cinematic circa 2007. Mine is the sedan. We still have a couple local drive ins, although I have not been there in forever. 208354-4e7d29e5a7f3d2a9c13d4058cff8bf34.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.