Register now to get rid of these ads!

drive in restaurants...where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfairlane, Jan 19, 2010.

1. signman57

signman57
    from WV

2. OldCrow

OldCrow

ya... that and their $6.00 hambergers. good.. but not that good. now the rats have taken over anyway ;) . summers it's artic circle on friday eve or Sonic. actually the Sonics all over S. Oregon have stepped up to support the hot rodders in recent years and I say.. good for them.

OC

3. mj40's

mj40's

Patty's Burger Time in Boise. Cruise night every Saturday evening. Roller skating car hops with live music in the summer and several swap meets scheduled in 2010. 130+ cars during the summer. Food is great with no frozen burger patties here. Several events thru out the year like "Trunk or Treat" at Halloween for the neighbor kids or car folks kids.

Attached Files:

4. Hey man Im glad you liked it..... I was the cook there until the bastard bought it and canned me because I didnt agree with what he was doing.

Now me and some older gents meet at the Dairy Queen Fridays... Sonic doesnt agree with me too much :eek:

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The one in the plaza is the one I was talking about and it is probably still there. You're right about the atmosphere. It's in a mall type setting. Some guys tried to start hanging out there, but it was mostly Ricers and Mustangs.:eek: I did go a few times with my T and it went over well. Talked to a few old timers and had a good time.

A while back, maybe 5 years ago, they also had a location on Westheimer just west of Hillcroft (I think). It was really nice and was made up like an old diner. It had a HUGE parking lot, but no one ever tried to hang out there.:confused: It got swallowed up by all the other places to eat and closed.

On a side note, there's a Sonic that just opened up about 2 miles from my house. I waited till the Donks and Ricers thought they "had it going on", then rolled up in my T. I stole that show.

6. mj40's

mj40's

I like the Bliss Hot Rod Grill in Florence, Oregon. Food was good and loved looking at all the autos designed into the building inside and out. There was a good looking black primered traditional rod parked out front with skull air cleaners but I never got a photo of it. Understood that it belonged to a worker in the bar.

Attached Files:

7. criswellclan

criswellclan

Jerry's Curb Service in Bridgewater,PA. still has waitresses come out to your car and brings your order back on a tray hung on your window.Think it's been in the same location since the '50s although the building has changed a bit.Word is that the steak salad was invented there.

8. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Here are some Pics... Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. gmac

gmac

sometimes you just have to work with what you got. When theirs no more, theirs no more....

10. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Parkette here in Lexington is pretty cool. My parents took me and my brothers there a lot. Cruise in every Friday night. found this pic on their website.

[​IMG]

11. aldixie

aldixie

Still one open on the Gulf Freeway next door to comedy showcase, not a drive in but still cool.

12. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

the old wagners was sold and turned into Galaxie. I heard alot of complaints about the food and service and the price of food.

13. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

There was an A&W at co.rd.D and old hwy.8 in new brighton minn. until the early 80s.Dad would loud up us kids and friends in the ford wagon and go there. he would also pick up a gallon of rootbeer. the good old days.:)

14. pecker head

pecker head

Fran's in Austin , down the road from the Continental Club gets my vote !

15. dbradley

dbradley

Cotton's on Admiral, Barney's Hub on Boston and the 'dweebs' took daddy's car to Pennington's on Peoria.

Oh, wait I just had a flashback.................

16. BBobb

BBobb

I grew up 6 houses down from the prince's on Irvington drive in north Houston in the 60's. After prowling the neighborhood for half a day looking for soda pop bottles me and all my buds would pool our money together and enjoy root beer floats ...the real mc coys if you dig where i am coming from

17. 41 C28

41 C28

I didn't mention that this photo was from 1959.

18. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

We used to have "Hams" here in Greeneville, but it was replaced by an Advanced Auto. What a shame, they had amazing burgers and Peanut Butter shakes.

There is still a little one in Newport, but nothing fancy. Good grub, and a drive in nonetheless.

19. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

I'm new here, but Mearle's on Mooney in Visilia "they"want get rid of it, eyesore, but coolest drive in I've seen in the valley. O it's for rent.....someone ??????

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

wow i lived in tulsa 68-70 willies black bottom pie at penningtons, i miss that town

21. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Growing up in Kent Ohio it was the Short Stop Drive In ,home of the butter burger. But sadly the winds of time replaced it with a used car lot

22. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

There is a A&W in little canada minn. on rice st.and i think they also have a cruise night but im not sure on what night.not a real big lot but good food.:D

23. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

We went out and checked the fairly new smash burger in st anthony minn.its not a drive in but we liked the food.any more good places.:D

24. Adriene

Adriene

New Life for Mearle's in Visalia?
    www.cbs47.tv
    A California hamburger chain is in talks to move into the old Mearle's Drive In Restaurant in Visalia.
    QUOTE=iammarvin;4813055]I'm new here, but Mearle's on Mooney in Visilia "they"want get rid of it, eyesore, but coolest drive in I've seen in the valley. O it's for rent.....someone ??????[/QUOTE]

25. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Cool pic's, like the one with Winfield...Cherish it.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

If any of you guy's and gals are headed up the 395 highway in California towards Reno you will pass through the town of Walker be sure and stop at the Walker Burger for lunch......simply heaven...sometimes the lot is full of Harley's and sometimes it's full of hot rods, either way all the clubs out for the Eastern Sierra runs plan their lunch stops in Walker, they have a real nice shaded grassy area with tables and bench's to enjoy your burger and the view. It's a real favorite with the women, so you get extra points in that category. :D

27. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

The Tropical Treat in Hanover, PA, my home town, has been open since I was a kid and that is a long time :).

A treat, pardon the pun, as a young child was when our neighbor, who was a Cadillac salesman, would borrow a convertible Caddy from the lot and drive the neighborhood kids to the Treat.

As a teenager it was part of the loop, back then one could drive completely around the Treat - at 16 I had a 1966, 289 Mustang and I loved that car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  28. big bad john

big bad john

......Here in southern Wisconsin..... in the Spring Green area....place called Rumble Seats...old drive-in with the Fifties look and they even have car hops..lots of old cars and good food......our car club always makes a road trip there at least three times a year

29. junkmonger

junkmonger

There's an A&W Rootbeer stand that just went up for sale here in Belleville (St Louis area). If I had the cash, I'd buy it.

30. The "Owl Cafe" in Albq. NM. is a great spot on Tuesday nights. We stopped on our way from Pittsburgh to Colorado back in '09.
    Took the bike out for a burger:rolleyes:

" hey Don, thanks for the tip, great meeting place"

Very cool building, great food & great people!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011