Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drip rails or no drip rails???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy365-24-7, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

I'm looking for opinions on drip rails. I just removed 2 inches from the lid of this 1950 f-1 and was thinking of shaving the drip rails.The rest of the cab has been smoothed ( external hinges ,cowl vent,door handles) . It's not likely to be driven a whole lot .The friend I'm building this for kinda whould like to keep them ,I say the should go!! Any expierences???? Good or bad???
    chttp://i110.photobucket.om/albums/n114/carguy365-24-7/topchop010.jpg

2. can't pull up your link.. but I think drip rails should be kept unless you go from a vinyl top to a painted one.

3. 8flat

8flat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you get the doors to seal up real well, you might have problems with water coming in when you wash it, and wind noise might be a possibility, I'm not sure. I thought of shaving them off on my '51 F1, but chickened out. I had enough other headaches to worry about...haha

4. loogy

loogy

Sometimes, the more shit you shave off, the more character and personality you throw in the trash. So far you've already thrown a bunch of personality in the trash. Just something to think about.

5. it sucks that you cant roll your window down at all not even a crack when it rains because all the water comes rushing in

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

sometimes they can be a pain in the ass to not have, especially on trucks where the wind/water from driving does funny things, not to mention the water coming in from the door gaps that used to neatly just run down the back of the cab before...I dunno, sometimes it looks nice not to have them, but function is always a priority for me...

7. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I have a chopped f-100 with no drip rails.
    BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS I EVER OWNED.
    It's a daily driver, which means I use it in the winter.
    It's parked outside overnight.
    Every time it rains at night, the top is puddled up.
    When you open the door, nothing moves. But as soon as you get in, just about the time you step in, boom, a neck full of fucking water.

Take my word for it. Leave the rails.

Craig:cool:

8. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

9. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I'd keep 'em for all the leaky problems stated above. But I also think shaving them makes the top look too bulbous.

10. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I hate chopped tops and removed driprails....Seems like cutting corners just to finish up quicker

11. Nicholson

Nicholson

I'm glad this thread came along. I'm working on a customers '46 Ford Coupe. Its drip rails are rusty as hell. I was thinking of just cutting them off to make my job easier. But now I've changed my mind thanks to you guys. I think in most cases they look better with them on.

12. Well you already answered it. if you're gonna drive it and it rains where you live leave 'em.

On a vehicle with a longer roof they add strength but on a pickup cab you probably won't notice the difference.

13. Chad s

Chad s

Exactly. "shaved drip rails" is an excuse.

14. jscott183

jscott183
    from Fox Ok

i see your guys point. i have a 1940 ford sedan tudor. i was thinking about shaving them as well. i did it to a ford p/u i had and it looked a lot cleaner. the only reason i was thinking about doing it to my 40 is because they as long as hell and in some cases they look like its a little to much for the car with its slanted ass end. ive also thought about making some kind of custom drip rails that will run only from the doors to the back seat windows and have them fade away with a downward curve once they pass the back windows. what do you think?

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I say, leave the drip rails, I think they look cool and are functional.

16. Nicholson

Nicholson

Here's the '46 that I talked about in the earlier post. We finally have it painted. As you can tell I kept the drip rails despite them being really rusty. We hammered what was left of them over to meet the roof and them welded them completely up and moulded them into the roof. We had to do a lot of patch work on them because there were places that they were completely gone. I'm glad I dind't cut them off. I think it would have ruined the looks of the car.
    46 driprail.jpg

17. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

My Terraplane did not come with drip rails, pain in the ass when it rains, you can't leave the windows open.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

replace them with 1/4" round rod and smooth it out like the coupe above... really cool!

19. ditz

ditz

I never met a DRIP...rail that I didn't like. ;)..............I really like the vent wings too. It is too bad that they have fallen out of favor