Register now to get rid of these ads!

drip rail sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Apr 5, 2010.

1. What do you guys use to seal your drip rails when the original caulk like material is dried/cracked and/or missing??? The reason I ask is because I want to use something that can be painted over.

Thanks.

2. I have always used the 3M paintable seam sealer. Works well for me but I know there is more out there. Search seam+sealer, we have had a couple threads over the years discussing it.

3. mctoyart

mctoyart
    from maryland

Body shop suppliers sell a self leveling drip rail sealer but it does not go on as thick as the factory did on the car so I end up using a good seam sealer and brushing it out to the right thickness ,good luck

4. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I take a piece of tape and run it on the roof about where the original sealer line was and use brushable seam sealer. After I get it to the desired thickness i take my finger and run it down the whole length of the drip rail in one motion to get rid of the brush marks. Wait for the seam sealer to tack up a bit then pull the tape off to leave a nice straight line.

5. I use Aveco seam sealer in the caulking gun, tape it off then put a bead in smooth out with your finger and pull tape and blend in edge let dry and paint. it will go on as thick as factory in one coat.

6. Thanks alot guys.

7. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

NAPA!! PRO Adhesives/sealants. #4301 Universal Beige Firm Seam Sealer. Comes in a standard size caulking tube and other colors. Sets fast. About $13.00 a tube. Happen to be using today.

8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

x2 -never had a problem with this

9. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

3M "drip-chek sealer" - part number 3M.8531. works great.

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

Use the 3-m drip-chek. If you want a real small bead, put it in a syringe and apply.