Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drilling rear axle flanges and drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mschiffel, Jun 8, 2012.

1. I have just installed a 400 cu. in. SBC into my 1948 Chrysler...Here's the problem...the stock rear has no Ebrake provisions...the stock Ebrake was on the back of the transmission..now long gone......I have a rear from a 1956 Tbird that I'm going to put in because it has Ebrakes and cables...the bolt circle is smaller than the Chrysler bolt circle....Is it possible to drill new holes in the axle flange and brake drums to the Chrysler bolt circle?...I really want to keep the stock wheels and hubcaps....If this is feasible, where do I take the pieces to be drilled ?...any thoughts on this?....thanks...Mike S.

2. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Any machine shop or axle shop should be able to handle that for you as long as there is enough material on the axle flange and drums. What pattern does your Chrysler have? The T-bird rear should be 5 x 4.5 I thought Chrysler was the same?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like not too long ago there was a guy here building a jig for doing that. couldn't tell ya what to search for though.

4. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

5. The Tbird is 5x4 1/4".....the Chrysler is 5x5 1/4".:eek:

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Chrysler is 5 x 5 1/2 .......not 5 x 5 1/4" ....you are measuring from the center of one lug bolt to the center of another, right? That does not give you an accurate diameter as the bolts, being 5 in number, are not directly across from one another. Mopar used 5 1/2" inch on New Yorkers and Imperials in the late '40s and early 50's.

May I suggest you skip the T-bird rear. It is, at best, maybe a Dana 44 (not bad) and maybe just a regular Ford pasenger car axle from the period. In either case, it is highly unlikely that you have enough flange diameter on the axle shafts to accommodate a 5 1/2" bolt circle. There are however, Dana 44 axles with the 5 1/2 bolt pattern used in Ford, Jeep and International applications that could prove useful. Also, '49/'51 Mercury used a Dana 41 or 44 with 5 x 5 1/2" pattern.

A better choice might be a 9" Ford rear axle from a Ford pickup. Already has the e-brake and 5 1/2" bolt circle. Depending on year model, the width varies, '57 thru '67 or maybe even '72, I forget which, is the narrowest, with those after thru '86 being a bit wider. Also, earlier Broncos used the 9" with the 5 1/2" bolt circle.

7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

It is done in a sort amount of time on a Bridgeport. JC

Attached Files:

8. @ Hnstray.....Thanks for the info....I think I'll pass on the Tbird rear.....too much extra work....The gear ratio is ideal 3:31.....and I already own it....The 9" Ford makes more sense...I appreciate your wisdom....Mike........P.S...I don't that there is enough "meat" on the outer circle of the axle flange either....it's a wash.