Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drill/mill Whats a good one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 29, 2012.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Wow, nice buys on both the mill and the Kurt vise. One thing I learned from my neighbor across the street that owns the local speed & machine, he uses grey Rustoleum from Home Depot for the machines, pretty good color match and lasts forever. Is that an Anderson static phase converter on the wall? Looks familiar, I have one on the Bridgeport and another on the 16x60 South Bend- they work great and are very easy to wire. A few have passed in the last few years, but out here in the country neighborhood we had quite a few old retired Mare Island machinists that worked there during the Big War- you want to see some guys who could make amazing things out of pure junk- sheesh.. Your gunstock made me think of that, one of the old guys was making his own hunting gun barrels from scratch, always laughed about how small they were compared to what he USED to work on :eek:
    Got another buddy who's a somewhat legendary V-twin guy, built the first big-inch Hardley Dangerous Evo-type aftermarket engine, hi-po Sportster stuff, transmissions etc., and the stuff he has sitting on his shelves that he just dreamed up and built.. He had a Twin Cam engine that he converted to SOHC, just to see if he could do it. Got some real interesting bikes that look like XR750's, but are 1100cc dual-carb custom head Sportsters, and go like stink- and built it all from scratch

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

A bench top[?] combo I think will be my next prchase. Quick question, what is the difference in a gunsmith lathe and a regular metal lathe ?
    I know nothing about these machines but I am going to find one to learn on.

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

thats a clean machine mamllc. super good buy!

4. Do a Google search for "George Gorton Machine Models" and then "Jump to Milling Machines". Lots of info there.

5. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I found a "Tree" mill (Bridgeport style) in my area for sale. I already have a Bridgeport so I don't need it. It is unhooked, came out of a local machine shop. It does not have R8 collets, but it has a full set of collets with it. Some kind of power feed, I could not see it good enough, probably table and saddle. 3 phase. Here's the good part $500.

This is a pic from Ebay of one just like it;

[​IMG]

Specs from Ebay

MODEL NUMBER: 2UV
    SERIAL NUMBER: 5135

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Spindle Speeds, (Step Pulley): 8-140 to 3500 RPM
    Quill Feeds, (Step Pully): 2-.003 to .006
    Quill Feed, (Hand or Power): 4"
    Collet Capacity: 3/4" Diameter Shank
    Table Size: 10-1/2" x 42"
    T-Slots: (3) 11/16" Wide
    Power Table Feeds: (5) 3/4" to 7" Per Min.
    Power Rapid Traverse: 70 IPM
    Turret Movement: 360 Degrees
    Ram: Dovetail Type

RANGE
    Longitudinal Feed: 25"
    Transverse Feed: 11"
    Vertical Feed: 17-1/2"
    Distance, Centerline of Spindle to Column Face:
    22" Maximum, 0 Minimum
    Distance End of Spindle to Table: 20-1/2" Maximum, 0" Minimum
    Head Rotated Across Table: 45 Degrees Each Way, W/Table 90

Degrees Each Way.

EQUIPPED WITH

1 HP Spindle Motor, 1155 RPM 220/440/60/3
    1/2 HP Power Feed Motor, 220/440/60/3
    Forward & Reverse Switch
    6" Milling Machine Vise with Swivel Base
    Mitutoyo Digital Readout (2 Axis) Not Warranteed

Shipping Dimensions: 55" x 58" x 70" Tall
    Shipping Weight: 2400 Lbs.

PM me if interested

6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If that mill has collets (even though they're not the "standard", there's a full set, right?), a swivel vise, power feed and a DRO with it, and it's in decent shape, that's a pretty good deal for a hobbyist

7. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

PM sent.

8. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

IF you do get a bigger mill & it's 3-phase you van make a convertor out of an old 3-phase motor.I did one for our Bridgeport after the static convertor made a power loss.
    We've been using for over 15yrs.

9. Well I've been useing a Smithy Grnaite 1220 for about 10 years now and can say that it is not like using my old 7 /12 hp 16x40 Hendy with all the power that I could use at tap, but it is slow and now I am retired and have nothing but time to do what I want, and it doesn't weigh 2 1/2 tons. So for a small shop it has done everything I have asked of it. Of course most is small jobs for my obsession with Flatheads..............

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said sir.