Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drill chucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, May 27, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 19.2 volt 1/2" Craftsman battery powered drill that I really like. The problem is that it has a "hand chuck" (not a geared one with a key). My hands, in addition to being subject to arthritis, are also losing their strength. Has anyone ever converted one of these to a geared chuck? Whoever made the decision to put a "hand chuck" on a 1/2" drill is an idiot.:mad:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    AHotRod, 1934coupe and Stogy like this.
  2. You may get a quicker answer over at the Garage Journal.

I had a question about lighting and I got my answer very quick. HRP

kbgreen and Stogy like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really on there. I figure there's gotta be enough old guys on here that somebody has run into this.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Yes, me.

But I haven't tackled it yet. I have some normal chucks spare and a good corded drill with a shit hand job. I often think about the change. As it is, I grip the hand chuck with stilsons/monkey wrench etc.:mad::rolleyes:

AHotRod and Stogy like this.

5. Sorry if that sounds rude.

6. Yeah, not a problem. I've done some using chucks from old defunct drills. I hate those hand tighten things. I usually try to leave it loose and get a run at it. Still don't hold well.

Stogy likes this.
  7. bct

bct

shine a light down inside and look for a fastner. remember it is left hand thread . replace with the chuck of your choice

Hnstray, The Shift Wizard and Stogy like this.
  8. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Those are called keyless chucks.

Stogy likes this.
  9. bct

bct

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Age and tightening keyless chucks is one thing...but for those who are buying one before you buy make sure when your tightening the Chuck the shaft locks when tightening (one hand tightening). If it spins and you have to use two hands to tighten put it back...

My Craftsman drills were like that...never...ever could get the drill tight enough...ooooo I cursed that...and low and behold I bought a chuck but never could get it loose and then the Ni-cads gave out...trashcanned it...good riddance.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats why they made hex ended bits for those lousy chucks...

12. I've changed a couple of Makita drills from keyless chucks to keyed with no problem. Just remember, as already mentioned, that there is possibly a screw holding the chuck to the drill shaft and it's probably left hand thread.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tubman its a cool site as well. One thing of note is your Hamb password works on all the other Specialty sites...ie. Fordbarn, Garage Journal etc.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"bct" - Thanks for the link; it's what I needed to get me off my dead ass. "Stogy" - I like the "hex ended" bit deal, but I just paid $150 for a full index of M42 Cobalt bits with round shanks. Which, by the way, is one of the best things I have ever done.

Stogy, Hnstray and bct like this.
  15. Keyless chucks may be an answer to a problem most of us never had to begin with. But the fact is they're out there and some of us have them. Fortunately, my drill press chuck uses a key but I do have a cordless drill that is keyless. So that one can be hit or miss due to my Barney Fife grip. I keep a couple of those rubber tortillas, made for opening jar lids, on my workbench to give my old tired hands a bit more grip when I have to do it barehanded without a wrench or a key. My wife still asks me to open the occasional pickle jar so I've got that going for me for now.

jnaki, Chiss, pitman and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As implied by previous posts, there is some 'commonality' to drill chucks as to how they attach to the drill shaft.
    As locking screw inside the chuck with left hand threads keeps the chuck from unscrewing itself when drilling. Over the years I have made a point of saving chucks from defunct drills for reuse.

Ray

Frankie47 and Stogy like this.
  17. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Yes! I have a whole set of DeWalt 20 volt stuff, two identical drills. Like you I don't like keyless chucks that much so I changed chucks. I ordered on eBay, and it took a while to change, fastened down inside left hand threaded bolt.
    It's much better now and I can use each drill for different things.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

18. Clik

Clik

Mine has a torque setting. I set the torque on #4 and let the ratcheting impact like action do the tightening and loosening. Much easier. Once tight I put it back on the drill setting.

19. Have you tried calling Craftsman and asking if both types of checks that fit that Model drill?

Charlie Stephens

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Those hand tightening chucks are supposed to be self tightening under load; at least the expensive ones are..Oil in the chuck stops the self tightening feature..

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have had, and worn out, several Milwaukee 18V drills with hand chucks. I've tried Black and Decker (pure junk), DeWalt (better but still not as good, chuck grip was too slick and didn't lock down well) and Makita (wouldn't stay tight). The Milwaukee is a simple one hand deal. Put the chuck in forward gear, hit the throttle and hold the chuck lightly with the other hand. Spin it and it locks. Never slips. I can use it much easier than I can my older keyed chucks. For me, my hands are stiff and fingers don't always do what I want them to. The Milwaukee is hands down (sorry for the pun) the best drill for me to use. I don't even get any of the others out anymore. Gave the B&D to the wife to keep in the house and the DeWalt is what I loan to the neighbors. The Makita died after a series of holes.
    SPark

upspirate and Deuces like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Spend the extra money for a Jacobs chuck, then remove it when you need to trash can the drill motor.

23. evintho

evintho

Another vote for Milwaukee! Keyless, simple and locks tight. When any 'serious' drilling needs to be done, I pull out my late fathers old corded and keyed, made in u.s.a. Shopmate 1/2" drill. Gotta be 60-70 years old and will drill through 3" of steel without missing a beat!

upspirate and Deuces like this.
  24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've been a Snap-on dealer for almost 12 years. I prefer the keyed chucks as well but can't seem to sell them. All the customers think the keyless is better so much so we have even made the air drills keyless now. Of course one of the things I've noticed in this biz is the younger guys will not listen to your advice, nor risk trying things on their own they all want the tool their buddy told them is the best, regardless of where it is made etc.

25. To tighten those keyless chucks; grab the rubber hand grip with Channel-Lock pliers. Pull the trigger and let the drill do the work. The chuck will get plenty tight.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've always bought the drill bits that have 3 flat sides machined into them. Good bits are harder than the chuck fingers so they don't bite into the bit to grip. Softer bits don't hold an edge. If you want a keyed chuck, buy one with a hex shaft to put in the keyless chuck. This 3/8 set is $10.72 on Amazon.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-20754A-Change-Convert-Impact/dp/B0051AE85W

You could buy a 1/2 inch chuck threaded for 1/2-20 then take it and a 1/2-20 bolt to a machine shop to put 3 flats on the bolt so it clamps firmly into your keyless chuck.

jnaki and bobss396 like this.
  27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The younger guys lost the chuck keys faster than we could buy them. Even on the corded drills where I taped them to the cord, they would cut the tape.

bobss396 likes this.
  28. My bigger drills are all keyed chucks. Most of my machine shop ones are keyless and good ones, Albrecht and Jacobs. You have to research how the old one to see how it comes off. Jacobs are a lot less than the Albrecht.

29. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

That's one of the reasons I buy used tools, so I can afford a tool for every occasion.. keyless for speed and keyed for bite..

Depending on what chuck you buy.. (nicer Jacobs) it may be cheaper to buy another drill?

I prefer air and have three ARO drills I got for reasonable,, I don't know but by the looks and sound they may run longer than I do? Just fyi but dynabrade makes an at tool flow control that obviously aids in rpm management which can be usefull in keeping the tool from binding, if you have problems w/your hands and go the air route one may be beneficial..

30. Budget36

Budget36

There's another type of keyless, my neighbor has on his cordless drill. You don't have to keep twisting it to get it tighter, it's kind of a snap lock thing.

Now most of what he does in the in construction business- mostly wood- so I'm not sure how well it would work on steel.