Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drill bit sharpening....Fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROADRAT EDDIE, Oct 5, 2006.

1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

drill doctor.

just read the directions and its easy as pie, and less cumbersome than manually doing it. so much that youll be looking for bits to sharpen rather than "aw man i gotta sharpen this"

2. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I use a fine 4"grinding wheel.start with the leading edge(cutting edge)sq to wheel,and roll drill to trailing edge.you dont need much presure it does not take much.remember trailing edge should be lower than leading edge.lol

3. rodrelic

rodrelic

Bench top grinder. If I'm under duress, I have used a disc grinder, but almost like blindfolded darts. With a good grinder and practice you can make them do anything. Agressive, big cut goes fast and willing to break off, or shallow, slow cut, made a 1" cut flat for a flat bottom countersink.
    Oil every time used, and more drill less sharpen

4. h_o_t_r_o_d_1

h_o_t_r_o_d_1

For an inexpensive, simple tool, check out the E-Z Sharp drill sharpening jig at www.sharpdrillbits.com. It woorks great!

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

With my drill doc, the bits dont last long (HF specials) but they are aggressive as sin.

6. 40Tudor

40Tudor

3 year old thread. Man there's a lot of names up there I don't see much anymore.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Anyone ever grind the web at the point of the drill bit to make the 'dead center" smaller?

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

I do them by hand on a bench grinder. I learned how to do it because when I was in high school machine shop. The instructor was in the tool room, and when you asked for a certain size drill bit, he had a chop saw right next to the tool room that he used to CHOP the end of the bits off every time. It didn't matter whether it was a new or used drill bit, he gave it to you square, and it was up to you to sharpen it. We all learned very fast how to do it.

9. If you've over heated the bit, trying to drill through something, you've probably takened the heat treating out of the bit and it will NEVER keep an edge...

10. I've sharpened dozens of them on a grinding wheel. I just eyeballed it and put an edge on it. Done it for years. Sometimes have to do it twice to get the right angle of dangle.

11. llonning

llonning

That works great. I have a Darex M5 diamond wheel setup. It was rather expensive, but the size of bits I can do was worth it. Set it at 135*, split the point and thin the web and you will never do it any other way again. Like a hot knife through butter.